Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Image - WindowsCodecs.dll

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nurotox

Nurotox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

Laptop pops up many error boxes with diff bad images ( WinLogon, DWM, etc...) The background is black and I cant change it. The gadgets on the right side of the display have a bunch of red X's in their place. When I try to open the computer management and view the event viewer I recieve an error box "Unhandled Exception in Managed Code Snap-in" FX:{c7b8fb07-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4} Parameter is not Valid. Also a 2nd Error box with "Event Viewer, MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it." There is no Event Viewer in the list. Any help would be great, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817142 .

Is NET Framework 3.5, SP1 installed?

Try running the chkdsk /r command, please.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

Louis

#3 Nurotox

Nurotox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Hey, Thanks for the response. I am not seeing NET Framework 3.5 in Programs and Features ( there is a NET Framework 4.5.2 and a NET Framework 4 client profile but those are the only NET Framework listed in my Programs and Features ), Also the turn windows features on or off is blank but it does show SP1 under computer properties. I ran the chkdsk /r command with no luck.

Edited by Nurotox, 22 January 2015 - 12:03 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

Click on the Start orb to open the Start Menu.

Click on Control panel, when it opens click on Programs if this is listed as Control Panel.  If this is listed as All Control Panel Items click on Programs and Features.

When Program or Programs and Features opens click on Turn Windows features on or off.

See if there is a check in Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, if there isn't, place a check in the box, then click on OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Nurotox

Nurotox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

When I do that the box pops up with please wait... after that the please wait vanishes and the box is blank. I then recieve an error box "OptionalFeatures.exe - Bad Image" And the description "C:\Windows\system32\WindowsCodecs.dll is eaither not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support" *side note* I get these messages starting from after the windows loads as soon as the logon starts up ( there is one for WindowsLogon as having a bad image ) and continuously while I open or do various task. Occasionally the features will load and the .NET Framework 3.5.1 box has a check in it but it is Grey whereas alot of the others is a black checkmark, after expanding  the folder there are 2 "Windows Communication Foundation" HTTP and non-HTTP activation, both are not checked.

** I have thought about copying files to a disc or external and just try reinstalling windows but the optical drive has a flag in device manager and wont show up in computer under the HDD like usual, Also tried plugging in my WD external HDD, it did its usual driver install but the driver for the part that acts like a disc to unlock the HDD failed, everything else went through just fine, the description in the device manager is "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19)" **

Edited by Nurotox, 22 January 2015 - 02:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users