Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on windows 7 laptop after nvidia update

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 forlorn1

forlorn1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

I have an older Lenovo T410 laptop on Windows 7 64 bit.  Was running fine, no problems, but a game detected that my Nvidia driver was old, and said it needed and update.  After downloading the driver directly from Nvidia and installing I have no sound.

DeviceManager shows 4 sound devices

Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD

4 x NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Service does not has a listing for  AudioSrv, AudioEnpointBuilder,  or Windows Audio Service.

I don't have a volume icon in the bottom bar.

It appears that the Windows Audio service was deleted but I'm not sure how to get it restored.

SFC /SCANNOW completes and I have rebooted allowing it to restore anything it feels was corrupted.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hi forlorn1 :)

Did you check in your Sound control panel to see which sound card was in use? Go in your Control Panel then click on Hardware and Sound and click on Sound. In the Playback tab, which device is currently in use? Also, are you using the laptop's speakers, headphones, a headset, speakers?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 forlorn1

forlorn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Control Panel - Sound will not open.

I believe that is a side effect of the Windows Audio service not being present, so nothing is selected as a playback device.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

Scratch that. Did you use the "NVIDIA Auto Detect" method, or did you enter your information manually to find the drivers for your graphic card and downloaded/installed them?

Edited by Aura., 21 January 2015 - 01:01 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 forlorn1

forlorn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

I ran dxdiag to get the model number for the laptop, then selected the download manually from the nvidia website.

I did a quick install, not custom.

Programs and Features lists

NVIDIA Graphics Driver 341.21

NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.3.30.1

I've tried uninstalling all the NVIDIA drivers and re-installing.  No change in behavior.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

Can you make sure that the "Power Service" is running and set to "Automatic" Start-up in the Services?

Source: http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/39547-no-audio-devices-installed.html

unite_blue.png

#7 forlorn1

forlorn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

I have two services

Power

Power Manager Service

Power was started on boot

Power Manager Service is not currently started

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

Can you start the Power Manager Service, set the start-up type to "Automatic", then restart your computer and see if your Audio Service shows up?

unite_blue.png

#9 forlorn1

forlorn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Made sure both were set to automatic start.  Rebooted.  Both show as running in Services.

Still no audio services listed, no volume control/mixer in task bar

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

If you try to run Windows Audio Troubleshooter, from Microsoft, what "error" does it finds/reports?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260596

Also, if it suggests a solution, which one is it?

unite_blue.png

#11 forlorn1

forlorn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

That particular tool doesn't report anything wrong.

However,

dxdiag reports 

- The computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio service is not enabled.Enable this service using the Service Management Console.

- No sound card was found.  If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.

and the tool of Microsoft's MATS/FixIt website (go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9740814 reports

- One or more audio services are not running

And the detail page says the both Windows Audio and Windindows Audio Endpoint Builder must be running.

Neither of those services is listed in the Service Management Console, so I can't start/restart them

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

This helps us quite a bit. Go in the Device Manager, click on the View menu and select Show hidden devices. Do you see new devices listed under Sound, video and game controllers?

unite_blue.png

#13 forlorn1

forlorn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

Even with Hidden Devices showing its still just

Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Nothing new there.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

Can you download and install the Conexant Audio drivers?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t410/downloads/DS004222

Once done, restart your computer and see if the sound is back. Its possible to that installation of the NVIDIA drivers took over the Conexant Audio since it also included audio drivers.

unite_blue.png

#15 forlorn1

forlorn1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

No joy.  The driver install comes up with the option to "Upgrade" my installation, so it appears to see something there.  The install seems to work fine and comes back with a status of "Success".   I restart and still no sound, speaker icon in the taksbar, and sound in the control panel won't open.

dxdiag output remains the same.  Device Manager shows the same 5 devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users