Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning on Windows Defender in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amgesq

amgesq

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

I recently had to buy a new computer, which came with windows 8.1  On my old computer, I used Microsoft Security Essentials, and was very happy with its performance.  I found the following post by Bleeping Janitor in another topic (I hope it's OK to copy it to here):

"Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same daily virus definition updates.  Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it."

My new computer came with McAfee Livesafe preloaded. I understand I need to uninstall it before I can turn on Windows Defender.  Will it be enough just to go into the control panel and uninstall MacAfee Livesafe?  Thanks  Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hello,

If you uninstall McAfee with the uninstaller; Windows Defender will active itself because there is no other AV active.

Pleas note that Windows Defender doesn't have a good rating in the AV-tests, what you can find here.

Best of luck!  :thumbup2:

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

Hi amgesq :)

Since you just got a new computer, I'm pretty sure that McAfee LiveSafe will uninstall itself without complaining from the control panel. So I would try to do this first. Once done, it'll ask to restart your computer (if it doesn't restart it manually) and Windows Defender should enable itself automatically, otherwise, you can turn it on manually via the Action Center (as it'll pop a warning, which will require you to click on an "Enable now" button). Simple as that.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 amgesq

amgesq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

An update:  went into control panel; uninstalled McAffee, including all files relating to this program.  While the uninstall was in progress, I got a message from my computer, advising me that I had no protection, and saying click here to turn on Windows Defender.  Clicked and it turned on, even while the uninstall was in process.!!  Restarted the computer, and Windows Defender is still running.  Now getting updates.  Thanks to all for the help.  Andy

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users