Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Freeze In Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

Hi, I have a very strange problem here, Every time I turn on my laptop there is a 1/4 (1 out of 4) chance that my laptop freezes after a minute, normally I hard reset my laptop every time it happens. No BSODs or Any Malware

Any help is appreciated :), Oh and this started after updating my laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThePie69

ThePie69

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

I was just about to post something like this. This happens for me as well. Whether I turn it on from completely being off, sleep or hibernate, it will freeze within the first 60 seconds. Usually I can tell this is going to happen when I click the start menu and it loads sluggishly and then I go to click something else and you see it try to disappear but it stops at like half the transparency and it just gets worse from there. I have done several scans with Malwarbytes and have recieved no errors. It's done this since I've installed Windows 8.1 really, not sure why.

#3 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:08 AM

:unsure:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi Dcoder :)

Did the issue started after the upgrade to Windows 8.1, or installing Windows Updates? If the latter, which ones did you install, Important Updates or Recommended Updates?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

It started after installing windows updates, I did not select which updates to install, it just updated itself

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

Are you able to do a system restore to a date prior to these updates being installed, and see if the issue still occurs?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

I can do a system restore but I dont want to because I have lose my software's configuration :(

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Alright. Go in the Control Panel then go under System and Security. From there, click on Windows Updates and click on Check for updates in the left pane. Is there any Windows Updates found?

unite_blue.png

#9 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

1 Important Update & 5 Optional Updates Available

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:17 AM

Can you install that Important Update, then list me 5 Recommended (Optional) ones?

Edited by Aura., 22 January 2015 - 09:17 AM.

unite_blue.png

#11 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

1501221955300106.png

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

Alright, install the first 4 updates (for Silverlight and Windows 8.1), leave the Qualcoom Atheros drivers out and install the Important update as well. Once it's done, restart your computer.

unite_blue.png

#13 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Ok, I will install them and let you know tomorrow

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

The second one is a pretty big update, 775MB. Wouldn't surprise me if it fixes a lot of bugs, glitches, etc. and that it's actually the solution to your issue. I just checked it on Microsoft website and it looks like I was spot on:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850/en

unite_blue.png

#15 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Since you said that it is not the problem of Malware or BSOD, so have you check for virus??  And have you noticed that when it get freezes i.e. by opening which application?? Also, there can be many causes of freezing such as: unnecessary applications running at the background did not uninstalled the software completely, corrupt OS files, Video card driver or windows registry.

Edited by Victoria-Joe, 22 January 2015 - 12:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users