Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Ubuntu 14.04

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:28 AM

Hello BC,

I am experiencing constant problems with Ubuntu 14.04. It seems like no matter what I do, the system is always slow. Also, I was constantly receiving notifications about Ubuntu having internal difficulty, or a system error had been detected. I used Time Shift, and restored the system to an earlier date. After that was complete, the error messages would still appear, and even after restoring the system to an earlier date, the system was still extremely slow. I ended up reinstalling the OS, and even though the speed has improved, I am still seeing messages about system program problems being detected. The machine is an older Toshiba Satellite that had previously run Windows XP. The laptop has a 200 GB HDD, 3 GB of ram, and an Intel Core 2 processor, so I thought that it would have no problems when it came to running Ubuntu. Should I be looking into a different OS? Can someone please suggest a way of figuring out why this system is running slow, and why these error messages appear multiple times a day? Thank you for your time, and I am looking forward to a reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:
  •     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:48 AM

I provided the distributions name, a description of my hardware, and the only details of the error messages that I know. Is there anything else that you would like me to be more specific about?

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:48 AM

beachfeet, what model of Toshiba Satellite do you have? For example, mine's an A665-S6086. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:51 AM

It is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4324 Model # PSAA8U-14F02k

EDIT-running 32 Bit version of Ubuntu 14.04

Edited by beachfeet, 21 January 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:00 AM

Let's disable Apport and that will get rid of that pesky message.

type this:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/apport

A file editor is now open. Change enabled from "1" to a "0" so it looks like this:

enabled=1    

To turn it off make it:

enabled=0

Now save your changes and close the file editor.

You can also use

sudo service apport stop 

to turn it off at boot.

Edited by NickAu, 21 January 2015 - 04:01 AM.

#7 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

Thank you very much. I will give these a try in a couple of minutes. Are they just pesky messages, or is there a real issue that needs to be addressed? In the past, it was so slow that it was almost unusable. If there is a real problem, I would like to take care of it, so I will not have to start from scratch again. Thank you again.

Edited by beachfeet, 21 January 2015 - 04:10 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

Looks like an 10 year old computer here, we'll have to perform tests on the HDD at some point of the stage, if other things doesn't get it going. 

10 years is well within the outer lifecycle of a HDD, many fails sooner. Has it even been replaced, to your knowledge, with a new one? 

If you don't have the Disk Utility installed, you'll have to install via Terminal, but that's easy. Open a Terminal & copy/paste this command. 

sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 21 January 2015 - 04:13 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:29 AM

NickAu- I have finished with the commands that you listed.

Cat-Yes, it is a dinosaur :P , but I have never really had any hardware related issues with it. Windows XP support ended, and for security reasons, I got rid of that OS. The PC was not a bad find, after doing some cleaning in the Garage. I don't think that I have ever updated the HDD, but I do have disk utility installed.

Edited by beachfeet, 21 January 2015 - 04:32 AM.

#10 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:39 AM

Would you like me to run the SMART data, and self-tests?

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:40 AM

Yes please. Then please post the results.

#12 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:43 AM

Under assessment everything comes back as 'OK' with no errors. It is reporting that the disk is 'Ok' and that 'threshold not exceeded'

Edited by beachfeet, 21 January 2015 - 04:45 AM.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

That's good to hear! :thumbup2:

It's good to check these every few months, being it's older. 

Windows XP support ended, and for security reasons, I got rid of that OS.

+1! :thumbup2:

Highly intelligent move on your end.  :)

If only more felt the same way. 

Cat

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

Are the RAM sticks easy to reach? 

If so, you can remove & reseat them, sometimes this performs miracles. Reverse them around if you want to. 

Cat

#15 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:08 AM

Sure, I'll give that a go right now. I have upgraded the RAM by a couple of Gigs. I believe that when I pulled this out of the box, it had two 512 sticks in there. I took those out, and replaced them with 1GB and 2GB sticks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users