Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice for networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sandeepbwes

sandeepbwes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:21 AM

Good day

I have a small network setup in my office.

We have internet connection connected to TP Link (150M Wireless Lite N Router Model No. TL-WR740N / TL-WR740ND ) in its WAN

port. This is connected to TP Link (300M Wireless N Gigabit Router Model No. TL-WR1043ND) configured as Access Point.

-------------
Settings:
------------
TP Link WR740N (Main Router): LAN IP: 172.16.5.2, DHCP: disabled, Wireless: Disabled
TP Link 1043ND (Cofigured as Access Point -AP): LAN IP: 172.16.5.1 DHCP: Enabled, Wireless: Enabled.

We have 10 PCs (including one HP Server with Win2008 R2), one Seagate NAS Server and 1 Mac Air book laptop all part of a

local domain.

A) Win2008 Server and NAS plus two PCs are connected to Main Router through wired cable

B) Mac Laptop and another two PCs are connected to AP wirelessly.

C) AP is connected to two Zyxel Switches which in turn provides connectivity to two sets of 03 PC in each one of them.

Above is the brief description of setup.

Problem is: For last two weeks, my boss owning the Mac Laptop is not able to work properly. Every now and then his system

becomes hanged. (While in home he is not facing any issue).

I tried the diagnosis with process of elimination:
a) Is there issue with some of systems connected directly to Main Router
Rem: I think not, otherwise other PCs would have the same problem.

B) Is it because wireless connection?
Rem: The two PCs connected to AP are working perfectly.

c) Is it because of Mac OS - Windows compatibility?
Rem: Again, had this been the case, the problem would have come up in the first instant. We have this networking setup since

last six months. No issue till 01 Jan 2015!!!

d) Is it because of some software update?
Rem: As part of policy, unless absolutely necessary, updates for all computers including Mac is disabled.

e) Could this be a domain problem?
Rem: Again, all was working till last date of 2014!

Some people advised me to change MTU of his wi-fi settings. Did that but no results. Changed the AP Wireless Channel from

auto to 6. No result.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:41 AM

What do you mean by his system just hangs? <sarcasm>Macs just work and there are never any issues.</sarcasm>

If you have an android device get Wifi Analyzer.  This will help you set the best wireless channel for your environment.  There is  a similar program for iOS I'm sure.

Apple just started pushing out updates to Macs, so that may also part of why it just started.

Sounds like this is a personal machine that is also used for work, so there is no telling what he did at home over the holidays that may have broken it for work.

#3 sandeepbwes

sandeepbwes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

Hi BC Advisor

Thanks for your reply. Guess I must have used wrong word - "hanged". Problem is when two excel files (MS Office for Mac) are opened, cursor turns into rotating wheel and for next 10 minutes the system stops responding.

It is not a personal machine and is left in the office only.

Could you please advice?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Start by connecting wired to the network.  Does the problem still happen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users