Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Peach clean install

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

I am trying to install "Peach" on an empty partition which is formatted NTFS. When I hit -Install- I get a message saying "No file system found". What should I do? Does Linux use a different file system? I have a multi-boot machine Windows7/LMM/Zorin all running side by side but want to install peach on its own partition---????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:03 AM

NTFS is standard for Windows, while Linux uses ext3 or ext4.

You will have to re-partition it and format the correct FS.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:45 AM

NTFS is standard for Windows, while Linux uses ext3 or ext4.

You will have to re-partition it and format the correct FS.

Will the Install DVD format the partition to ext3 or ext4? i don't think Windows will do it-

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:30 AM

Crikey, what time do YOU go to bed?

heyyou325, whom featured in your Zorin Topic, is a Peach user, and may be of assistance.

Typically, the DVD will include as part of its install process, a Partition Editing component, and at that point,you may have the option to format to (choose, if available) Ext4.

If you want to be proactive, you can use GParted (GNU Partition Editor), which features in LMM, and also in Zorin. Google up GParted Live if you wish to have it on a CD/DVD, download the iso first then burn to CD/DVD using eg Brasero. You can then boot with it, by (on a Desktop) F12-ing at boot, could be Esc or something else with a laptop.

The above is a safer way of using GParted than on a live operating system.

If you choose the latter, ie running it within LMM or Zorin, be sure to unmount any mounted partitions that you do not want to affect.

There is also GParted for Windows, as it is cross-platform.

Later

:wizardball: Wiz

Edited typo

Edited by wizardfromoz, 21 January 2015 - 03:31 AM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:51 AM

heyyou325, whom featured in your Zorin Topic, is a Peach user, and may be of assistance.

Typically, the DVD will include as part of its install process, a Partition Editing component, and at that point,you may have the option to format to (choose, if available) Ext4.

If you want to be proactive, you can use GParted (GNU Partition Editor), which features in LMM, and also in Zorin. Google up GParted Live if you wish to have it on a CD/DVD, download the iso first then burn to CD/DVD using eg Brasero. You can then boot with it, by (on a Desktop) F12-ing at boot, could be Esc or something else with a laptop.

If you choose the latter, ie running it within LMM or Zorin, be sure to unmount any mounted partitions that you do not want to affect.

Later

Edited typo

wizardfromoz you crack me up ! i'm a musician,so I am always up at least until 3 or 4 because the clubs don't close till 2:00 A.M. So from 4A.M. til 12:00 noon is still 8 hours of good sleep- I'm just on a different time schedule. Thanks for the info- i will try to contact heyyou325 as well. I want to install peach on a separate partition because I am already running Windows7/LMM/Zorin side by side. i don't want to tempt fate and run peach as well- that would make it a Quad-boot machine,and even though I have backups,I don't want to risk it and I want to see if it behaves any better on its own partition! But I am getting sleepy - so will probably postpone 'til tomorrow- my eyes are crossed from looking at the monitor---

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

Windows7/LMM/Zorin side by side

What do you mean by "side by side"? You mean on the same partition?

If you boot up with either Mint or Zorin, open a terminal and run:

sudo fdisk -l
.. and post the output here, that will clarify what partitions the computer has and what file systems are on them.

If you already have a partition for Peach, there should be no need to delete it and create another one; just format it to ext* instead. It's generally advisable to use ext4 rather than ext3, as ext4 is newer.

PS: You can read, write to and even create NTFS partitions with Linux, but Windows won't even recognise a Linux file system.

Edited by Al1000, 21 January 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

As I remember you have a windows 7 computer, with the windows 8, or probably any with uefi boot on you need a special key.  Some distros, mint, ubuntu, open suse, and fedora all have it with the live disk, or usb.  Peach, zorin, and a lot, maybe most of others do not.  I have heard a lot of conflicting info on why, but it's the way it is I guess.   If you don't have a uefi computer, then it should be fairly straight forward.  Nick and Cat have posted ways to install on those uefi computers.  I sometimes have trouble with simple directions.

Al gave good advice, but when I installed I just used the something else for where to put, then (I already had the partition) I formatted to ext4 and installed.  Course I also put the grub on the boot partition, and home on a home partition so my files could all be accessed from any of my 5 root partitions.  I made my partitions from a live gparted disk, tho you probably don't have to, and decided to have 5 so I could play with new systems.  I only have 500gb on an 2006 old xp computer, but have 

sda2   boot

sda5   swap

6   zorin

7   mint

8   makulu (now was open suse , but I ran out of partitions)

9   I'm not sure only a few mib

10  ubuntu

11  home

13  peach

You do have to format when you install (according to a tutorial on one of the distros I've had, forget which), and ext4 was advised to me for root, ext 3 for grub or boot.  I have ext4 for home, but if you use it with windows you need fat 32 I think.  I'm a bit leery as windows doesn't see linux files and will overwrite them.  Peach has it's own gparted on the live disk, and after install.  For some reason I had to use burg instead of grub to see my other root partitions, but that is the only problem I have had with 2 installs.  Nothing went wrong when I replaced peach the first time, except it made it easier to try other distros.  I'm thinking about combining 2 partitions and trying a virtual machine, but you know people say if it aint broke don't fix it.  Sometimes I think if it aint broke I'm not trying hard enough.  It's getting to be a pain making sure these 5 and 3 on a laptop are all updated.  I know I'm keeping peach on this computer, but haven't decided on the rest for sure.  On my laptop I can't install peach cause it's uefi, and I'm trying to keep windows on it also.

As for posting the screenshot of your partitions, you need a photo sharing place online to do that. Or just manually type it in.  I guess I'm a bit paranoid and haven't joined any yet.  I guess I have joined google plus, you do that just to get an e-mail address I think.  I have a hard time remembering that, and a lot of other things, especially when I'm frustrated by trying to post a screenshot.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

As for posting the screenshot of your partitions, you need a photo sharing place online to do that. Or just manually type it in.

Indeed, there is no need for a screenshot. All that Paul would have to do is copy the output of the command from the terminal, and paste it into his post.

The relevant part should look something like this:

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

/dev/sda1   *        2048     1230847      614400    b  W95 FAT32

/dev/sda2         1232894    78139391    38453249    5  Extended

/dev/sda5         1232896     9621503     4194304   83  Linux

/dev/sda6         9623552    12769279     1572864   82  Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/sda7        12771328    38985727    13107200   83  Linux

/dev/sda8        38987776    78139391    19575808   83  Linux

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Plenty of food for thought to digest there, Paul?

And if you need help on screenshots posting, remember to check Moderator Stolen's Post here, or see Nick's article pinned on the Linux/Unix front page.

I use Imgur, Cat uses Photobucket, Nick uses TinyPic.

#10 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:42 AM

Why don't you just create your own uefi key? 

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html (search for 'Replacing your firmware's keys if you don't want to read all of it)

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:23 AM

Guys-Guys- when I translate all that Linux-ese i will get back to ya- I have a vague idea of what you are talking about- it's kind of like my understanding of Spanish- I get about every 3rd or 4th word or phrase- LOL! Now I hav to go look up all those acronyms--

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:41 AM

Now I hav to go look up all those acronyms--

I see what you mean - I just took a swing over there, and most of that section is beyond my limited experience.

Did you take the early link and swing back to the beginning? Because the page bmike1 refers to is Part 11 of 12.

bmike1, when you are online next - have you considered flagging that tute (tutorial) over at Cat's ebooks Topic? He takes web page articles as well as ebooks.

It all looks veeery interesting! (Arte Johnson - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In)

I haven't been there for a week or so, so if you have already done so, well then, dumbass me.

Cheers

#13 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:41 AM

Later

Edited typo

wizardfromoz you crack me up ! i'm a musician,so I am always up at least until 3 or 4 because the clubs don't close till 2:00 A.M. So from 4A.M. til 12:00 noon is still 8 hours of good sleep- I'm just on a different time schedule. Thanks for the info- i will try to contact heyyou325 as well. I want to install peach on a separate partition because I am already running Windows7/LMM/Zorin side by side. i don't want to tempt fate and run peach as well- that would make it a Quad-boot machine,and even though I have backups,I don't want to risk it and I want to see if it behaves any better on its own partition! But I am getting sleepy - so will probably postpone 'til tomorrow- my eyes are crossed from looking at the monitor---

Wiz- i did choose ext.4 and then it asked me to choose a swap file,which I did- then peach installed on the partition I had created. However, when I rebooted the boot loader came up and the previous boot screen had been replaced by peach and my only two choices were windows 7 or Peach,whereas before I had Windows7/LMM/Zorin installed on the same partition- side by side- I assumed I would get a boot screen with 4 choices-- Windows7/LMM/Zorin/Peach -- ??

#14 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

bmike1, when you are online next - have you considered flagging that tute (tutorial) over at Cat's ebooks Topic? He takes web page articles as well as ebooks.

I want you to do it for me. I'm too tired to do that! Okay.... you got me. Too LAZY!

OOPS.... I did it!

Edited by bmike1, 22 January 2015 - 03:57 AM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

I done the same once, has Windows 7 installed, followed by Linux Mint & Ubuntu. Decided to try a 3rd Linux OS, and ran into the same thing, Mint would no longer boot. 

Good thing for disk images! :thumbup2:

Had I installed the last on a separate drive, all may have been OK. Haven't tried again on a single drive, so can't say if the same would happen again, at least I now know I'm not the only one this has happened to. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users