Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem w/ Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pete_D

Pete_D

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

I'm running Windows 7 on a partitioned drive on a MacBook Pro (purchased in mid-2013). Everything was working fine for the first year or so, but in the process of booting back and forth between operating systems one day, I got the blue screen of death. Upon re-booting Windows 7 (with self-repairs being done), I was getting an error message about the base filtering engine not being able to start.

- After an internet search, I came across a website/forum that claimed to resolve the issue. After running a batch file, the BFE was finally able to start, but I think it messed up something else related to the firewall and my ability to:

a. Host an internet baseball game and

b. Airplay multiple devices simultaneously in iTunes

Prior to this, I never had any problem with either. I've been using Norton 360 from Day 1 also.

I notice the following when I open the Windows Firewall Settings:

- The main setting window states: "Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings to protect your computer," Since I'm running Norton 360, shouldn't the message state that the Firewall is OFF?

- When I click on "Use Recommended Settings", it thinks for about 15 seconds, but nothing happens.

- When I click on "Advanced Settings", it gives me this message: There was an error opening the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in. The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code:0x6D9.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:26 AM

I'd like to you manually restart the Windows Firewall Service yourself, see what happens.

Also provide the link to that batch file you're talking about, I'd like to review the code.

1. Click on the Start button and then click "Run."
  2. Type "services.msc" and then press the "Enter" button
  3. Scroll down in the services list until you find "Windows Firewall.
  4. Right-click on "Windows Firewall" and then click "Restart." The service restarts itself automatically.

Check back, see if you get that same error once you restart it.

Edited by TechnicianOnline, 21 January 2015 - 01:26 AM.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 Pete_D

Pete_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

The restart button was greyed out, so I tried the start button on got this message:

"Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 5."

Also... digging through my recycling bin, it was an .exe file that I ran, not a batch file. The file was named RestoreBFE.exe. I'm not certain of the link where it came from... possibly here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206716-how-turn-base-filtering-engine.html

I can email the file if that is preferred.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Try using the Microsoft Support Fix it tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Pete_D

Pete_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

- Tried the Fix It tool, but it wouldn't run and suggested I uninstall Norton 360.

- Uninstalled Norton 360.

- Would not run again (got the same message).

- Ran Norton Power Eraser (no infected files) and the free version of Malwarebytes (no threats found).

- Retried the Fix It tool... this time it ran and scanned, but I still have the same problem... I cannot start Windows Firewall service (identical issues as stated above).

#6 Pete_D

Pete_D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

This is from another forum from Oct 2012, but is the same issue I had and has since been resolved. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of lines of log files embedded in the thread, so I cannot easily figure out what was done here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-open-windows-firewall.186054/

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

The topic you posted the link to is addressing malware.  All of the scans in that topic would have to be run in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, only the Malwarebytes could be run in the Am I Infected forum.  There are other tools which can be run in the Am I Infected that can be effective in diagnosing this if it is malware.

If you believe you are infected I would suggest posting a topic in the Am I Infected forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

Topic moved to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#9 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Try running sfc /scannow in an administrative command prompt.

Look at your event logs to see if you can see any errors in the System & Application events that might be related.  

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users