Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really frustrated and would love help

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bradleyp1

bradleyp1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

Hey guys,

I'm a new let's player, and essentially I record my games but I put a lot of work into editing to make them good quality and enjoyable to watch. I take a lot of time on them and I purchased this gaming pc off of someone recently. Clean wiped but he has it setup something ridiculous like (c:) has 74gb space and e has like 698gb. So recording and editing takes a lot of space and basically I had no space on my c drive so windows starts deleting stuff without your consent so your pc runs normally. This deleted files I needed for this let's play and I lost 20 hours of work. I'm going to re do it but basically I want to partition more space from my e drive onto my c (all if possible). I've tried with the windows program and took from e and it was all unallocated space but I could not put to c drive. Tried another program called minitool or something and it also couldn't put it on the c drive when trying to expand. From what I noticed on this one tutorial I was watching (from someone else's problem there same as mine) is it says disk 1 and shows c drive and on disk 2 it shows e drive. Why this is or why this guy set it up like this I have no idea but I need to partition more space on there ASAP.

Also I said since I lost all of my files for the most part I might as well reformat my pc. Reinstalled windows and a lot of the stuff was still there (whatever) but also I cannot connect to the Internet and have no drivers. This has happened before a while ago but I have no memory on how I fixed it. Would really love a fix.

Thank you in advance,
Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

Brad,

I should be able to help, so from that info you provided here and the few I understood (sorry I'm really tired right now) is that you're issues consist of low HDD space. Between the two HDD's one is C:\ the other is E:\ you would like to merge the two. This is possible with special hardware like a RAID Controller or built in software RAID from the motherboard (normally on new hardware).

Although forking out the money for a new dedicated RAID Controller will be about the same cost as another HDD. That being said, you next option in my eyes is a Virtual Hard Drive from Windows. You would be able to create it through the Disk Manger.

Give it a try and check back, we are here to help man. :bubbles:

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 bradleyp1

bradleyp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the quick reply :) I did actually try that video there with Disk Manager. When I try to take space from e drive it turns it into unallocated space. I should then be able put in on the c drive. However usually you would click expand once you have the unallocated space and you would be able to put it into the c drive. Let's say I took 200gb from the e drive and it's now unallocated I should be able to put that 200gb in my c drive but the expand button still isn't there. The thing I've noticed from mine that's different than others like I said above someone else posted this but nobody replied to them was I have disk 1 above my c drive and disk 2 above my e drive so maybe because they're on different disks it's harder to transfer? I have no idea I am so confused :/

#4 bradleyp1

bradleyp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

Bump

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

If you are taking space from E: the space is taken from the side that is not adjacent to C: because you cannot take space from the beginning of the partition side that has data.

I like to do this offline but the Windows version of Partition Wizard can do this. Remember, always backup any important data because moving partitions can go bad. When downloading from Cnet make sure you opt out of any optional software or toolbars. The bootable version of Partition Wizard can do this also.

Here are the steps you would do with Partition Wizard. After all steps are done press Apply.

Click on E: partition and select Move/Resize. Left click on the right arrow or the partition bar and drag it to the left the amount you want to reduce the partition by.

Click on E: and select Move/Resize. Left click on the partition bar itself and move the partition all the way to the right. This will give you unallocated space after C:

Click on C: and select Move/Resize. Left click the right arrow on the partition bar and resize the partition to use all unallocated space after C:.

Click Apply

Edit: Sorry, I missed something. Your C: and E: partitions are on different disks if you say C: is Disk 1 and E: is Disk2 in Disk Managment. The above does not apply.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#6 ianmcqui

ianmcqui

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

Hi Brad, I've done a bit of video/audio editing and regardless of your boot drive capacity whatever program you are using can be set to store files on the other drive surely.

I've only done this on an 8 core machne with either SAS cheetah's running at 15.5K 4 X and raid striped or using SSD drives for sustained write speed!

So you write to 4 drives through 4 interfaces at once, very fast and in my set up 300Mb/sec for any size of file for any length of time, not like SATA which slow down the larger the file size.

Video editing takes a lot of power, memory and is best when it can write to the disc as fast as possible, make sure the specs on the machine are up to the job at hand.

And johnC_21 is correct you can re size the partition but I would use GParted from a boot disc, it's far quicker and have always defragged the drive first and then done a re boot, Windows scatters files all over the place.

IMHO defragging reduces the chance of an error whilst re sizing.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by ianmcqui, 21 January 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#7 bradleyp1

bradleyp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. So Johnc are you saying there's no way if they're on different disks to take space from my e drive and put it on my c drive? I don't get it? I don't know what the guy did who had it did with it? He has like 74gb on c drive and 698gb on e drive? He must have changed it? And I tried setting most stuff on e drive and I've deleted basically like everything but I still have no space on my c drive for some reason

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

Your 74GB C: drive is a 80GB drive and the 698GB E: drive is a 750GB drive. You cannot increase C: by decreasing E: as they are different disks.

Download WinDirStat and run it. It should tell you what and where data is located on the drive.

#9 bradleyp1

bradleyp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

Here is my laptop:http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/specifications/

So I know he only added extra ram (upgraded to 14gb of ram)

So I don't understand? It doesn't come with a small e drive he must have nodded it to be like that no?

#10 bradleyp1

bradleyp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

I mean big e drive it comes with a big c drive so he must have some how got it to work? I'm so confused, I don't mind putting stuff on my e drive but some programs literally do not allow me to and 75 gb which actually I have like 10gb free after just wiping it, just won't cut it

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

Download and run Partition Wizard. Post a screenshot of the Partition Wizard screen. Also Run Speccy and post the link to the results.

I am not sure how you only have 74GB for C: The computer supports RAID 0/1 but I don't think that is your problem. The computer is supposed to come with two hard drives as you have but there is nothing to suggest that there is a 80GB hard drive.

2.5" SATA Dual HDD
1TB 5400
750GB 5400/7200
500GB 5400/7200
750GB 7200 SSH
256GB SSD
RAID0/1 Support

#12 bradleyp1

bradleyp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

Download and run Partition Wizard. Post a screenshot of the Partition Wizard screen. Also Run Speccy and post the link to the results.

I am not sure how you only have 74GB for C: The computer supports RAID 0/1 but I don't think that is your problem. The computer is supposed to come with two hard drives as you have but there is nothing to suggest that there is a 80GB hard drive.

2.5" SATA Dual HDD
1TB 5400
750GB 5400/7200
500GB 5400/7200
750GB 7200 SSH
256GB SSD
RAID0/1 Support

2.5" SATA Dual HDD
1TB 5400
750GB 5400/7200
500GB 5400/7200
750GB 7200 SSH
256GB SSD
RAID0/1 Support

https://imageshack.com/i/ex6QxfJap Heres a screen cap, basically if I take space from (D) (It changed to d drive since I reinstalled Win7). It will go to unallocated space no problem, but as soon as I try to add it to C drive, there is no option to extend it by pulling it. Also F: is just a usb because I needed to reinstall drivers when reinstalling win7. I am going to go ahead and start downloading the stuff for my Let's Play to the D drive, but I still need to figure this out. Also it say's theres 74gb on C but I just did a fresh reinstall of windows and 14.3gb available?! How?! I have nothing installed. I ran speccy and was confused. Hopefully you guys can help me I'm in desperate need to extend my C drive

Edited by bradleyp1, 21 January 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

Somebody possibly switched out hard drives and put a smaller drive into the computer. The 80GB drive is too small and I have never seen a 80GB drive have a GPT partition on it. Even the SSD that toshiba lists in the specs is 256GB. You only option now is to ask the person you bought it from or wipe the 750GB partition and use that for the OS and the 80GB drive for data.

#14 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

Ok, everyone please stop talking about RAIDing.  This is not the solution and will result in more confusion for the user.

He stated he has a laptop.  The sum of his C & E drives = 750 GIGs.  Thus his 1 HD was split up into 2 partitions.  This makes sense as you normally only need to perform a full image backup of your OS partition.  The other partition can be backed up with a normal backup as it should contain your data.

Before you begin anything, please make sure to have a full backup of your entire HD.  Playing with partitions can result in data loss.

You have a few options depending on what you want to do.  

1) I normally setup a partition and change my Swap & all my temp files to it so that I don't need to back them up.  Running Chkdsk / Scanning for viruses / Defragging the partition / etc is also much faster.  I keep all my data on another partition as well.  Keeps my OS image small as I only Image my C drive every x  months and perform normal backups of my data drive daily.  This is pretty advanced but it works for my needs.

2) You can resize the partitions to allocate more space to C drive and less space to E: using a partition util like Paragon Partition Manager (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/)

3)  You can move all your data from your E drive to the C drive, delete the E drive, then expand the space on the C drive using partitioning software

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Nobody Edit:Sorry, I think you were referring to a post by TechnicianOnline.   I did not talk about RAIDing the computer. I just listed the specs and said that the computer supported it. I stated that he had two separate drives and suggested putting the OS on the 750GB drive and use the 80GB drive for data. His hard drive is not split into two partitions. He has one Disk that is 80GB and another that is 750GB. The 80GB drive is formatted with a GPT partition table and the 750GB drive is formatted with a MBR table. How can he have one drive that is both a GPT and MBR partititon table? I don't understand that. Look at the image the OP posted. https://imageshack.com/i/ex6QxfJap

80GB drive = 74GB  80,000,000,000/1024 = 78125000KB or 76293.94MB or 74.5GB actual capacity

750GB = 698gb 750,000,000,000B/1024 = 732421875KB or 715255.7MB or 698.5GB actual capacity

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 January 2015 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users