Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes when trying to run a game when overclocking GPU

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SirKaz

SirKaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

Hi guys. To start with here are my specs....

MoBO - GA-970A-UD3

CPU - AMD FX 8350 8 x 4.0Ghz

GPU - AMD Sapphire R9 270X OC (4GB)

RAM - 16GB

PSU - OCZ X or something 650W

OS - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I haven't got a cpu cooler yet so i've not even bothered messing with cpu overclocking.

But if I try to overclock the GPU even the tiniest amount, as soon as I run a game it crashes and gives me a BSOD or doesn't actually run the game.

It's not any software problems.

I'm confused, because the recommended PSU for the GPU is only a 550W and 600W recommended for dual Crossfire.

The GPU / MoBo isn't overheating either and I can do everything but play/run a game when i overclock my settings.

Any idea's on what could be causing this? 

I think I read something somewhere about the MoBo 12V rail or something? I have no idea, i barely remember and it meant nothing to me at the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SirKaz

SirKaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:50 AM

This is my PSU - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-ocz-technology-zs-series-zs650w-uk-86-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-135mm-quiet-fan-

As for my gpu, the r9 radeon 270x oc version is 4gb. And I have one of them. But I will be looking to get another in the near future to crossfire, but as I cant seem to be stable oc'ing one of them without knowing the reason I don't want to risk buying another...

#3 AbsTechie

AbsTechie

• Banned Spammer
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:24 AM

You cant crossfire with this PSU.And you will need at least 750 watts of PSU to crossfire.And I think you are having an issue with the GPU or PSU.Try putting the GPU in one o your friends computer and try running it.

Edited by AbsTechie, 23 January 2015 - 03:37 AM.

#4 SirKaz

SirKaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

Yeah I knew the psu isn't good enough to crossfire, I shouldn't of even mentioned it as its taken interest out of the main issue. I just cant understand why the gpu works fine normally, then if I oc even the tiniest amount it dies on me. I guess I can try my mates computer with my gpu, but the gpu is like a month old.

#5 AbsTechie

AbsTechie

• Banned Spammer
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Try it on someone elses pc first,if the problem prevails then you have a problem with the gpu.It doesnt matter if its one month old.there are those fault ones in a 1000.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

This could be a PSU or GPU issue, or just a card that doesn't overclock well.

Being able to overclock a chipset is not a guaranteed thing, sometimes you get a card that will oc well without a problem, some might not oc at all without crashing.

How exactly are you overclocking the card automatically, manually? Are you using AMD CCC? Are you changing the voltages? Clock speeds? What are your OC settings vs stock settings?

Generally when you up the core clock speed you also need to bump the core voltage up slightly as well, if you are only changing the clock speed and getting a crash, up the core voltage (very slightly) using the smallest incriment available until you have a stable voltage/clockspeed combination, you should watch temps while doing this as voltage increase = temperature increase.

A few notes: using someone elses overclocking settings may or may not work for your card. Each card will vary and this is why it is important to slowly up the clock and slowly up the voltages. Using voltages that are too high may damage the card.

You can use other people's over clocks as reference points but don't expect yours to function at the same voltage/clock speeds as everyone else has.

This is generally how I overclock: I will leave the voltage at the stock setting and up the clock speed slightly, if it runs stable, I will up the clock speed again, and continue until I get a crash or stability isn't there. Then I will up the voltage and test stability again while monitoring temperatures. I continue this process until I have reached a reasonable speed with reasonable temperatures at full load.

Furmark is a bench I run to max the card out and test stability along with max temperatures. You need to watch closely, overheating a card even once may damage it.

Edited by zingo156, 23 January 2015 - 12:00 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users