Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Cooling Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Userrnam

Userrnam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

I've recently updated my GPU and was wondering if that could have anything to do with the power the CPU has to put out.

Since I updated my card, the CPU has been running much hotter. Keep in mind that I have had the same Processor since I had the computer. It's about 3-4 years old. The GPU on the other hand has twice the memory of my old one.

Specs:

GPU - STRIX Asus GTX 970

Processor - AMD 6120 Six-Core Processor

Motherboard - Gigabyte 2AC8 Motherboard

PSU - Corsair CX750M

Case - MicroATX Guardian

CPU Temperatures:

Idle temp: around 40c

Playing WoW w/Ultra Settings: Max 70c after 10 mins.

Playing Shadow Of Mordor w/High Settings: Max 80c after 10 mins.
(The temperature will continue to rise unless I close the game)

My question stands; As a result of the GPU update, is the processor using more power to run games? And if so, what can I do to fix it? If it comes to simply buying a new CPU and motherboard, that's fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cptrosco

cptrosco

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

What was your GPU before, have you looked at the specs on the GPU to see if your PSU is enough? 

If you are using a stock cooler, firstly... shame on you ;) Get a H20 cooling kit, they run about $80-$100. If you don't want to do that then a quick clean and re-apply some new thermal paste. Make sure you remove all the old paste (CAREFULLY!) from the cpu and cooler before you apply the new paste. I tend to do mine every 6 months, my pc runs 24/7/365. 

Hope this helps. 

#3 hman123467

hman123467

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

How dusty is the heatsink? It could be dust buildup or, like cptrosco said, thermal paste. It could be your cooler. Have you tried water cooling? If none of the above work and you haven't tried water cooling, check this out:
http://www.dx.com/p/cooler-master-rl-s12p-20pb-r1-cpu-cooler-seidon-120v-plus-white-black-852343671#.VMrEGNkayc0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users