Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer not showing Thumbnails

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 tkennedy41

tkennedy41

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:12 PM

When I open Windows Explorer I and go to my Picture File, the Thumbnails don't always show correctly. I can open Windows Explore and see no Thumbnails displayed but if I open another copy, it's better but not all come up. I have multiple folders, some display no thumbnails (a blank white sheet), others show a few and others show more. I also get a green bar at the top that never finishes. Sometimes, I open Explorer, and if I try to expand the Folder Tree on the left panel it won't expand, The Files are on an External Flash Drive. I've tried many troubleshooting searches for the problem so yes, I have the Folder Option, "View" set to "Display thumbnails." This is a recent problem. One last thing, the computer seems as it's freezing and not updating the thumbnails, but currently the CPU usage is only 4% under Task Manager.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:22 AM

Did you make any changes to your Windows Operating System recently? Sounds like the aftermath of a "tune up" that went wrong.

That being said, the data that has no thumbnails.... can you open them and view the data, I'm curious to know if it's corrupted.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 sarkm85

sarkm85

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:38 AM

Check if this helps you 

Windows keeps a copy of all of your picture, video, and document thumbnails so they can be displayed quickly when you open a folder. The thumbnail preview problems can be resolved by clearing the thumbnail database and let the system rebuild it as and when required. To do so, use these steps:

Steps to Clear the Thumbnail Cache using Disk Cleanup

a.    Click Start, type “cleanmgr” (or typedisk cleanup) without quotes and press {ENTER}

b.    Select the system drive letter from the drop-down.

c.    Uncheck all the entries, except Thumbnails

d.    Click OK, and click Delete Files to confirm.

#4 tkennedy41

tkennedy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:58 AM

Disk clean up did not fix problem, and yes I can view the pictures fine when I open them. I have about 30 folders with a various number of pictures. I can open Explorer, go to a Folder and only get the blank white sheet displaying instead of a Thumbnail. I can then open a 2nd copy of the same folder and now I will see half the Thumbnail and the rest come up as the Windows Gallery Icon. Blanks Sheets no longer display. It's like the 1st time they wouldn't load? I just shut down Explorer a moment ago and when I reopened it, the left side panel took a minute before the Tree expanded properly. I only got a few folders and a "Magnifying Glass," then the Tree expanded OK. 

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

Hi tkennedy :)

I have an idea of what might be causing this issue, but before that, I would like you to try two things. First, I would like if you could clean the thumbnail cache again, using the Option Two listed here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10797-thumbnail-cache-clear-reset.html

And I would like you to rebuild the icon cache using the Option One listed here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

Once you're done with this, restart your computer, and let us know if the issue is still there.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 tkennedy41

tkennedy41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

Yes, unfortunately the problem is still there.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

Are you using any graphical tweaks, themes or patch? Like a custom Windows Explorer, a custom theme, Rainmeter, etc.?
3Al62Pm.pngList Installed Programs
  • Download MiniToolBox and move it to your Desktop;
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the Go button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log in your next reply;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

Greetings,

Currently I am working with this User and this computer in the .Malware Removal Forum. I have determined the computer is infected and may be the cause of the issues currently being addressed in this Topic. As a result I am going to request the User work solely in the Malware Forum so that steps taken to resolve these issues are deliberate and calculated to resolve the infection.

Thank you for your willingness to assist. I fear that overcoming the issues will require programs and steps not permitted to be used in this forum. In this case multiple fronts will prove to be counterproductive.  Thanks for your understanding.

The Malware Topic can be found here.

Gary

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

Thank you Gary for warning us about this. Of course, once a user have a thread opened in the malware removal section, he should stick to it until the helper declares him clean :) Good luck with the case!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Malware Removal Logs topic is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563877/keep-getting-a-script-error-pop-up

This topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users