I've had this computer for around 5 years now, and it never gives me problems. now suddenly boom! all at once!
1) I get this "Your version of Windows is not genuine" spiel, and my desktop goes black. Windows came with the computer, which I got from Best Buy. it freaking better be genuine! I enter the key that's on the side of my computer and it doesn't recognize it. now this happened once before about a week ago, and somehow it eventually accepted my key. now suddenly it's refusing it again and my desktop is once again all black.
2) I can't access add/remove programs. I pull up the Start menu, type in add or remove, and click on the search result, and nothing happens. the same when I try to click on it from the control panel. as such I don't know how to remove unwanted programs.
3) during startup, the computer says "Autocheck program not found, skipping autocheck". I don't know what that is.
4) I can't get into Internet Explorer. when I click on it, it says it cannot open the program, because some component is missing. it does the same thing when I try to save a Notepad document, specifically: "The program can't start because api-ms-win-downlevel-shell32-I1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." but then I click 'Ok' and the popup goes away and it saves like normal.
thankfully I usually use Chrome anyway, but my mother uses IE.
5) at startup, two popups come up saying something about ipoint.exe not being found, and also hkcmd.exe . I don't know what these are. I hit OK and the popups go away and things proceed as usual.
6) and now, suddenly, when I try to open a folder, any folder, whether from the desktop or the taskbar, it says "No such interface supported". this has never happened before this moment.