Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to dual boot Windows 98SE, partition not being recognized

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xereeto

xereeto

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

I've got a 6GB hard drive on this old box, 2GB of which is my drive C: which contains DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1. I want to install 98 on a different partition, so I used the Windows 98 boot disk to create an extended DOS partition, then a logical drive within the partition. This logical drive is 4GB in size, and FDISK shows it up as drive D: - however, when I try to format it using

FORMAT D:

I get the error:

Invalid drive specification

Huh? How's that possible? FDISK shows that drive D: is a FAT32 system 4157MB in size which uses the entire Extended DOS Partition... why can't I format it?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or help you could provide.

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

I may be missing somthing but if FDISK is showing D: as formatted FAT32, why would  you want to format it again?

#3 xereeto

xereeto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

I was under the impression formatting takes a long time? I literally just created the partition and rebooted the computer, there was nothing to indicate the partition had been formatted. Unfortunately I can't even check if it's formatted, because typing D: also gives the 'Invalid drive specification' error -_-

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

If you have another computer download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file. On Windows 7, right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Hopefully it will boot on the old computer. It should detect the drive and show the partition/format scheme.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

Considering you have to resort to work-around trickery to get Win9x to boot from an extended partition, I'd suggest trying the second partition as a primary, that's what it's going to be expecting, see if that removes the difficulty.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 xereeto

xereeto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

I used Linux to create a new primary partition... now I'm able to format D: and access it from Windows 98's startup disk! Ya, thanksy!

Except... now I have a new problem: W98 refuses to install.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564506/98se-wont-install-driving-me-up-the-freaking-wall/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users