Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Paste

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 as311

as311

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:42 AM

Well, I just got myself a new mobo + CPU from Newegg.com, and after two hours its all installed. Not competely sure how to use the Artic paste that I ordered, I just put a thin layer over the factory layer on the bottom of the heatsink... I covered it completely from edge to edge. Is this a bad way of doing it? Is it so bad that I need to take it all apart and remove/redo it, or is it one of those things where as long as its on there its okay? Also, with this new system that should blow my old one away, I am surpised to find that it is not much faster at all (at least in Windows, Ive yet to try a game). Here is what I upgraded..

ASUS A7N8X mobo w/ AMD Athlon XP 2100+

To:
Gigabyte K8NSC-939 w/ AMD Athlon 64 3500+

In BIOS, it is reading the correct processor in the beginning, but it says a clock speed of 200mhz. Is this right? I would think it should be much higher.. Is this just a system clock speed? Its right below the CPU info on startup screen.

It's been a while since I first put this baby together, so I've forgotten a lot of the tweaks, concepts, etc. Any help for a reborn newb is appreciated..

Also, what is a good temp for a CPU of this caliber? For now all I am using is the stock fan. Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aljaud

Aljaud

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:24 AM

Well, i'm not sure if it's ok to put the thermal paste on the original thermal pad thing...But i could be wrong. I'td be safer to clean it off, and to apply Arctic Silver, just put some on there, and spread it out on the whole chip (NOT THE GREEN SIDE, just the metal plate..) and make sure its a thin layer. Less is more for Thermal Paste :thumbsup:, but you still want to have enough, just put enough to cover the whole chip, not much more than that..Hope i helped :flowers:

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

It's extremly easy! You're sopposed to use probably wear a glove, or use of plastic. ( It's REALLY hard to get off your hands, if you just rub it under water it just spreads more ) Spread a tiny amount on the chips silver serfuce, about the size of the tip of a ball point pen. Then spread it around in a circular motion. You can find the official instructions here
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:13 AM

Look no further than here: Artic Silver Instructions. There are even color photos that will show you how the paste should be applied, along with written instructions.

Since you have a modern AMD chip, you only put a dab in the middle and you don't spread it out. According to the instructions for using Artic Silver 5 (I assume you are using that) you put too much paste on. You need to remove it and re-apply. If you are using the stock AMD HSF, get rid of the Thermal pad FIRST!!! [b]You can't use both at the same time!!!!!! The stock AMD HSF thermal pad will wear out faster than the Arctic Sliver 5, so I would advise using only that, not the thermal pad. They tell you how to remove the paste and the thermal pad too.

The paste and thermal pad has to be totally removed-clean! I use the Artic Silver Clean which is a 2 step cleaning process. Please be careful or you will fry your CPU.

The 3500 is a 2200MHz, but your FSB is 200Mhz. I'm not sure what you are looking at to tell you what is right.

Edited by Boyo, 23 June 2006 - 09:33 AM.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

A good temperature I would say for a +3500 would be 30-40Celsius. Well mine's 30C and the heatsink isn't any way warm to my hand. ( Sorry, I'm Canadian and we use the metric system) I think 30-40C is around 84-105F. Oh and 200MHz, huh? You sure not 2000Mhz? Because the +3500 has "Cool'n quiet" which is a pretty cool feature, and the proccesors speed will be constantly changing due to what you're doing? While you're idle your proccesor will clock down to around 1.1Ghz since you don't need all that horsepower and the fan will usualy speed down making it quiet. So when you click to load something such as a music file, it will temporarly boost up to probably 1.7-2Ghz then go back down, same apllies to anything. Usethis diagnostic program call CPUZ. It'll show your exact proccesor speed and everything about it. Test it out for yourself and it'll still show yor processors frequency while minimized

Edited by protozero, 23 June 2006 - 06:06 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:28 AM

I noticed you said, "I just put a thin layer over the factory layer on the bottom of the heatsink". Which heatsink and fan unit are you using? I have the Arctic Freezer 64 and it came with the thermal compound already on it. I left it on as it's just as good as Arctic Silver. Installing it on the motherboard while it's in the case was tricky. :thumbsup:

3939.png

#7 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

I noticed you said, "I just put a thin layer over the factory layer on the bottom of the heatsink". Which heatsink and fan unit are you using? I have the Arctic Freezer 64 and it came with the thermal compound already on it. I left it on as it's just as good as Arctic Silver. Installing it on the motherboard while it's in the case was tricky. :thumbsup:

I believe he is using the stock AMD HSF, which comes with a thermal pad already installed. While the stock thermal pad is ok to use, the Artic Silver is a better choice. But from what I took from his post, he used the stock HSF and then applied Artic Silver over the thermal pad, which is huge mistake. It's either one or the other, not both. The link I posted shows how to properly apply the Artic Silver paste.

I also have the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro which comes with it's own MX1 thermal paste and it is not recommended to remove that and use another thermal paste. There are a lot of reviews that tested the MX1 compound and almost all have come to the same conclusion: With the AC Freezer, it's best to just keep it as is. Here is a link if anyone is interested in the AC Freezer.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

The AC Freezer is very good, can be a little difficult to install but well worth the hassle. The trick with applying your own thermal compound is to put just enough to create a good bond but not so much that the compound insulates the CPU and retains heat.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users