Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering a deleted File

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bkweibley

bkweibley

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

I accidentally deleted a video off of my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3) and I am trying to retrieve it.  I know recuva is a popular program so I gave it a shot.  It found the file and said it recovered it, but when trying to view the file it is corrupt.  Recuva says the file is in exelent condition and has yet to be written over so I was hoping that someone could suggest either a droid app or computer app that may help me recover this video.  I believe it may be an MP4 file, I used another program that saw that file but said it was a .mov file (I thought MOV was an apple thing?) and could not retrieve it.  Thanks for the help in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hello and  :welcome: to BC,

Does one of the following links help you?

1. Link 1
  2. Link 2
  3. Link 3

Best of luck! :)

Kind regards,

M. de Jager

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Easeus has a free version but I don't know what the size limit is. On their other recovery software it is 1GB.

http://www.easeus.com/android-data-recovery-software/free-android-data-recovery.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#4 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

Easeus has a free version but I don't know what the size limit is. On their other recovery software it is 1GB.

http://www.easeus.com/android-data-recovery-software/free-android-data-recovery.html

See link 2 I've posted. :)

#5 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

So far #1 was a fail.  Im trying Easus right now, it is running as we speak.

#6 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

So far #1 was a fail.  Im trying Easus right now, it is running as we speak.

Thanks for that feedback! I think Easus will work for you!  :thumbup2:

#7 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

I had no luck with Easus.  I ran it 3 times, all 3 times it forced my phone into a reboot half way threw the process.  I saw that both times it had pulled old deleted texts and phone numbers, but it never made it far enough to scan the micro SD card where the videos were stored.  So far Recuva was the only software to find the video, they claimed that it was not written over and was in excellent condition, but when I tried to view the file it was corrupt.

#8 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

I will search for more tomorrow.

#9 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

I've nothing found on this moment...

Did you root your mobile phone? Becuase there are programs which only work on a rooted phone, so I can skip those or not. :)

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

Just dropping by to drop a small warning.

bkweibley, be aware that when it comes to data recovery, there's never a guarantee that you'll ever get your files back. You could try every data recovery program/tool that exist, it doesn't mean that you'll get your files back. This is why you have to be really careful when deleting files, and be sure that you won't need it anymore, since the chances of recovering it can be quite low. Of course, there's situations where data can be easily recovered, but these are rare and also "situationals". It's always important to keep back-up of your files so if something ever happen to them and they end up being deleted, you can restore them from that back-up. This being said, Piriform, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and GetDatabackNTFS portable are the three main programs I recommend when someone wants to recover deleted files. Also, about the message Recuva gives you, it's probably some kind of sketchy method to convince you to buy their product, since it was "so good" that it managed to recover a full media file in "perfect condition".

Other than that, good luck with the recovery!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

bkweibley, be aware that when it comes to data recovery, there's never a guarantee that you'll ever get your files back. You could try every data recovery program/tool that exist, it doesn't mean that you'll get your files back. This is why you have to be really careful when deleting files, and be sure that you won't need it anymore, since the chances of recovering it can be quite low. Of course, there's situations where data can be easily recovered, but these are rare and also "situationals". It's always important to keep back-up of your files so if something ever happen to them and they end up being deleted, you can restore them from that back-up. This being said, Piriform, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and GetDatabackNTFS portable are the three main programs I recommend when someone wants to recover deleted files. Also, about the message Recuva gives you, it's probably some kind of sketchy method to convince you to buy their product, since it was "so good" that it managed to recover a full media file in "perfect condition".

Thanks for the response Aura.  I have not tried GetDataBack yet so I will try that now.  I understand recovering files takes some luck, but it looks as if the file wasnt written over at all yet so im still clinching onto that hope.  As far as Recuva goes, you can do everything with the free download, so they arnt trying to trick me into purchasing anything.  Id love to know what program or how our police agencies / government do it when they recover things off of computer hard drives and such.

#12 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

I've nothing found on this moment...

Did you root your mobile phone? Becuase there are programs which only work on a rooted phone, so I can skip those or not. :)

M. de Jager, my phone is rooted and I am running the Xposed Installer.  I tried Easeus again last night from my home computer and it once again froze up at the exact same location.  Dr Phone took over 8 hrs to scan, just to "loose connection" with 4% to go.  It didnt recover what I was looking for though either.  

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the response Aura.  I have not tried GetDataBack yet so I will try that now.  I understand recovering files takes some luck, but it looks as if the file wasnt written over at all yet so im still clinching onto that hope.  As far as Recuva goes, you can do everything with the free download, so they arnt trying to trick me into purchasing anything.  Id love to know what program or how our police agencies / government do it when they recover things off of computer hard drives and such.

I guess that they hire professionals in the field of data recovery/forensics to do a such thing. These services are also really expansive, but I'm sure that the government have enough money to pay them. Also, I doubt that they really on free software when it comes to do a such task. DriveSavers is an example of company that specialize in data recovery/forensics:

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hello,

Can you pleas try to install the following app? Undeleter for Root Users and tell me if it works?

Regards,

M. de Jager

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hello,
Can you pleas try to install the following app? Undeleter for Root Users and tell me if it works?

Regards,
M. de Jager

I skimmed throught the comments really quick, and noticed that the developper was quite rude with users leaving bad reviews, instead of asking them what's wrong. And from what I saw, you need to pay to recover files that are found by the app.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users