Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading streamed videos?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

I know there is software to download youtube videos, but how about the other video streaming websites? Specifically the small not famous ones.

Edited by noz03, 20 January 2015 - 03:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

If you have a permission to do so, you won't need software. There will be a download button.

Edited by Phantom010, 20 January 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

If you have a permission to do so, you won't need software. There will be a download button.

Actually we don't need permission, there are laws that says everyone has the right to download/record publicly broadcasted material for personal viewing ;)

http://www.techhive.com/article/2034644/the-vcrs-legacy-shines-brightly-at-youtube-and-aereo.html

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

What about Terms of Service? Like YouTube's?

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

There are Firefox extensions that will download videos from most sites. I use Easy Video Downloader.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

There are Firefox extensions that will download videos from most sites. I use Easy Video Downloader.

But I don't think Bleeping Computer's rules allow any discussions on such programs...

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

Edited by Phantom010, 21 January 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

It's a grey area and for the most part video downloaders aren't as necessary as they used to be. Most mainstream music videos are now available on Vevo via Youtube and there is a download button on Youtube's website. And on sites where copyright might be an issue, if they have DRM protection, the video can't be downloaded anyway. I used to use a video downloader regularly for clips where embedding was disabled. I just don't need to do that much anymore. it used to be that record companies routinely disabled embedding and but Vevo changed all that. Now they are all embeddable and downloadable. 

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

This all depends on each individual website's rules.

From YouTube's Terms of Service:

Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

In some cases where a download is not supported by the website playing the video then providing the original maker of the video mentioned in the description that download is allowed you would likely be able to do it through a type of screen recording, it wouldn't necessarily give the same resolution or quality as a download would but would give an end result of being able to have a copy on your hard-drive.

The ability to download was only added to youtube recently, there are many videos where the uploader said "shared under creative commons" or some equivalent license allowing download provided the author is credited where the uploader might not have logged in and enabled download via youtube's own download facility since the facility has been offered. I'm also pretty sure that to download a user needs to log into youtube with their own google account.

There have been threads here discussing ways of downloading youtube (and other) online videos so I don't think that the topic is off limits as long as the user doing the downloading isn't downloading videos which the uploader didn't want copied, the methods advised come in two types mainly:

browser addons (often for firefox)

or

websites

The problem is that SO many browser add-ons or other programs that claim to let users download videos are actually ad-ware and that many of the sites which let users download videos have served malvertising adverts, including ones that in the past I thought trustworthy. If you browse to the thread on here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/409025/quick-youtube-download/ it gives a long list of things people have tried, but be warned that many of the sites on there (including the ones which I recommended when i posted there BUT have turned to the dark side since) are not necessarily the "same site" as they were when recommended, they may have been sold to new owners who decided to start distributing malware or they might have been compromised by hackers, or just shut down if the owner decided not to bother running the service any longer.

I'm sure there are reputable websites and add-ons for this purpose but right now I don't know of any off the top of my head. If i were you i would wait and see what solutions others suggest, it might be a while but it's better to wait for good and effective solutions than rush in and use risky ones.

Edited by rp88, 21 January 2015 - 05:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

Not all forums have the same rules and ethics...

Circumventing Company/School/Parental or Other Restrictions - Because we are unable to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided to those trying to circumvent Internet filters or similar restrictions and any such threads will be closed. Furthermore, we will not assist with violating the "Terms of Service" of any product, service or web site. Unfortunately, it is against Google's Terms of Service to download videos from YouTube. They have contacted us directly to request that we do not support with downloading videos from YouTube. Any posts with instructions or information about how to violate Terms of Service will be closed or removed.

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

Edited by Phantom010, 21 January 2015 - 06:03 PM.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

In some cases where a download is not supported by the website playing the video then providing the original maker of the video mentioned in the description that download is allowed you would likely be able to do it through a type of screen recording, it wouldn't necessarily give the same resolution or quality as a download would but would give an end result of being able to have a copy on your hard-drive.

The ability to download was only added to youtube recently, there are many videos where the uploader said "shared under creative commons" or some equivalent license allowing download provided the author is credited where the uploader might not have logged in and enabled download via youtube's own download facility since the facility has been offered. I'm also pretty sure that to download a user needs to log into youtube with their own google account.

There have been threads here discussing ways of downloading youtube (and other) online videos so I don't think that the topic is off limits as long as the user doing the downloading isn't downloading videos which the uploader didn't want copied, the methods advised come in two types mainly:

browser addons (often for firefox)

or

websites

The problem is that SO many browser add-ons or other programs that claim to let users download videos are actually ad-ware and that many of the sites which let users download videos have served malvertising adverts, including ones that in the past I thought trustworthy. If you browse to the thread on here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/409025/quick-youtube-download/ it gives a long list of things people have tried, but be warned that many of the sites on there (including the ones which I recommended when i posted there BUT have turned to the dark side since) are not necessarily the "same site" as they were when recommended, they may have been sold to new owners who decided to start distributing malware or they might have been compromised by hackers, or just shut down if the owner decided not to bother running the service any longer.

I'm sure there are reputable websites and add-ons for this purpose but right now I don't know of any off the top of my head. If i were you i would wait and see what solutions others suggest, it might be a while but it's better to wait for good and effective solutions than rush in and use risky ones.

Easy Video Downloader works and it's safe because I used it fairly recently. It's the only thing I use Firefox for as Chrome doesn't allow video downloading. As I said, it's a grey area because embedding is legal but some video players don't have embed codes. But it's not as big of a problem as it once was. I can even add Youtube videos directly from Blogger. And as Smart TVs become more popular, downloading videos to watch them on HDTV will become unnecessary because I can do that with the Youtube channel on my Roku player.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

Small note: just a suspicion as to peoples reasoning,

people wish to download videos firstly so they do not have to use X megabytes of bandwidth every time they watch it and secondly so they can "have" a copy where they know they will always be able to play it from such as when they have no internet connection. I would suggest that very few people think of embedding as equivalent to downloading because thye are done for very different end aims, it is unlikely someone would download and re-upload (re-uploading is usually a violation of someone's rights. most video producers who are happy for people to download their videos are happy for people to download them to keep on their personal machines, not happy for people to download them and then re-upload elsewhere, and (rightly) furious if anyone tries to reupload a video and deny credit to the original author) a video elsewhere as an equivalent to embedding and unlikely someone wishing to download a video would consider embedding to be the solution for what they wanted done.

if i didn't make it clear in my previosu post i should also add ALWAYS credit the author for the video if you reuse it or a part of it in any way (if the author is ok with people using it within their own project) and NEVER use the video for commercial purposes. Creators of (any type of) content deserve credit for their hard work, and profiting from something that someone else was willing to freely share is pretty im-moral.

I don't know of easy video downloader so can't be sure of anything about it, if it has it's own website i would advise looking at the web of trust page for that site, looking at the WOT page for it's download source in the firefox extensions "store" would only get you a list of people's experienced with any and all FF extensions and add-ons, so anything relevant would be buried beneath thousands of comments about other extensions available from the firefox "store".

Edited by rp88, 22 January 2015 - 01:18 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

We can each have our own opinion on the matter, but the fact remains, Google says it doesn't want you to download YouTube videos, unless there's a download button, period. At least they're covering themselves regarding copyright laws. However, they have a part to play as well. They should control the videos that are uploaded. Nobody uploads a complete music album 'cause they wish to share their passion with the rest of the world... There's a nice music sharing market going on on YouTube. It's not hard to download the videos or extract the audio as MP3's with the free software available. Google knows that, but still... On one side, they're saying no, but on the other, they have their eyes closed...

Edited by Phantom010, 22 January 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

The European site Daily Motion and the Chinese site Youku have already taken measures to make downloading difficult so Youtube could do that as well but they don't. So they are talking out of both sides of their mouths. And that's why this is a grey area. I don't think bandwidth is as big an issue as it once was. PCs are more powerful today and I think many users now have what amounts to unlimited bandwidth from ISPs. And smart TVs will change it even more. I can watch videos from Youtube, Daily Motion, Vevo and Vimeo on my smart TV in HD via Roku. I did that last week with a 25 minute Japanese pro wrestling match and then I posted the video on my blog with a review. 

Edited by frankp316, 22 January 2015 - 07:18 PM.

#15 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

Wow, this turned into quite the debate. Anyway, as I can tell it is totally legal, no matter what the terms of use are. Ethically I don't see any difference from recording a show on a VHS to watch later because you were busy at the time which people have been doing for 50 years, so what is all the fuss about? By the way, my reason for wanting to download them is that I don't have internet in my house, so I want to download at a friends place to watch at home.

One question back on the original topic... Does Easy Video Downloader download non youtube videos? As I can tell from it's description and user comments it is only for downloading videos from Youtube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users