Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc/scannow

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

Okay my Asus laptop running W7 apparently has a problem even though there is no sign of a problem when using it.

So I ran sfc/scannow for the first time since I have had this machine, which is a few years, and got this result saying windows could not fix the problem.

CBS.log windir/logs/cbs.log

C:windows/logs/cbs/cbs.log

C:windows/system.32.

It is all double dutch to me so any info on this would be appreciated. But as I said I am not experiencing any problems with the laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

In all the years I've been working with computers, I have never seen sfc /scannow fix a single computer. That's the type of all-purpose command you use, or have others use, when you don't know what else to try, or need to buy yourself some time (they're particularly good at that on Microsoft forums...). :)

Edited by Phantom010, 20 January 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#3 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Okay Phantom010 thanks for that..good "thinking" when you think about it if you excuse the pun. Much appreciated.

#4 PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

In all the years I've been working with computers, I have never seen sfc /scannow fix a single computer. That's the type of all-purpose command you use, or have others use, when you don't know what else to try, or need to buy yourself some time (they're particularly good at that on Microsoft forums...). :)

Pretty much this. I believe there is a massive misunderstanding about what SFC does. There was an interesting post about it while ago that i read which led me to believe that it's being used improperly 99% of the time. I've ran it hundreds of times and can't say it's ever fixed anything either.

If you're not experiencing any problems, enjoy and be thankful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users