Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External CD drive for Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brompcar

brompcar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Hi all,

I have an old desktop computer, bought circa 2000, which runs Windows 98.

Unfortunately the CD drive is close to/has failed. The computer doesn't have any external USB ports. I definitely need the CD drive so this is a problem.

Does anyone know any external CD drive that would be attachable to and would work with a computer that age? I can't replace the computer unfortunately, for various reasons I won't go into. 

Thanks

Edited by brompcar, 20 January 2015 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hello, and Welcome

At that age you most likely have a IDE interface and not sata. You could buy a used one on EBAY. Edit: I don't think you could buy an external. Those are all USB. Depending on the MB, you could buy a PCI USB card. Then purchase a external CD/DVD USB drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

I'm with JohnC_21, you're best off replacing the CD drive.  Finding anything USB that will work with Windows 98 is going to be a task.  Part of that is because Windows 98 didn't support USB until OSR2.

#4 brompcar

brompcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hi both,

Thanks very much for your advice, it's much appreciated.

As per your suggestions, I bought an old IDE cd drive from eBay.co.uk and fitted it yesterday, it works perfectly, so problem solved (touch wood).

Many thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users