Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete a file with a really long name

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

I wasn't sure where to post this question so I have it here.

Awhile ago I made the mistake of backing up the entier drive of an older computer of mine. I'm now trying to clean up everything I don't want/need (eg the Windows folder). On my user folder for that computer Norton made a file with a crazy long name. When I try to delete it it says the file name is longer then is supported by the file system (no clue how it was created in the first place then, stupid NTFS). I tried mounting the folder the file is in as a network drive and deleting it that way and it still has the issue. I tried using the command line with the dir command to try and get a short name for it but it either doesn't have one or it's the same as the full name. Is there any way to delete this or am I stuck with it forever?
I'd like to avoid pulling off the stuff I care about to another drive and formatting if possible.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 January 2015 - 12:32 PM.
moved from General Chat

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

I am pretty sure Puppy Linux will do it. Download the iso here. Burn the disk. When you boot Puppy look for hard drive icons in the lower left. Your computer icon would be sda1...sda2..  depending on how many partitions you have. Other drives on the computer would be sdb....sdc... and so on. If the hard drive is in a USB enclosure, attaching it will show a USB icon on the desktop.

Clicking once on the hard drive or USB icon will mount the drive and open the Puppy File Manager. Do not double click on the files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder. Browse to the folder or file you want to delete. Right click and select delete. If are deleting a folder with many files also check the Quite box. Make sure you are deleting the correct file/folder as it cannot be undone.

If the computer you are using is Windows 8 you will need to disable Secure Boot and possibly Fastboot. If that does not work, change to Legacy or CSM boot.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

What operating system are you using? After you provide the answer this topic can be moved to the appropriate OS forum.

#4 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

This is on WIndows server 2012.

I'm not sure linux will work because I'm using Storage spaces with a RAID configuration accross 5 HDDs.

CPU = Intel i7 950

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

That may pose a problem. I am not sure if Puppy would recognize the RAID or how the delete would be handled on a RAID system.

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Is it the filename or the entire path name that is the issue?

Some random thoughts....

If just the filename, could you go to a command prompt, cd to the folder then use del uiniquebeginningpartoflongfilename*

ie use a wildcard to complete the filename.

If it is the entire path that is too long, maybe you could use "subst" to root a virtual drive partway up the original path.

Maybe you could create a sibling folder to the containing folder of the rogue file, move everything else to the new folder, delete the original folder including its contents (which would be only the troublesome file) and then rename the new folder to be the original name.

DIR /x exposes short filenames.

Can you drag the troublesome file to another temporary folder where you can delete that temp folder more easily?

x64

#7 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:55 AM

Woot dir /x gave me a shorter name that it was willing to delete. Thank you so much!

That was way simpler then I was worried it would have been.

CPU = Intel i7 950

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:08 AM

x64, thanks for the tip on the dir /x command. Did not know about that switch.

#9 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:32 PM

Have you tried renaming the file?  Also try renaming the file paths example C:\somewhere\somwhereevenfurthe\somewhereevenfurtherthanfar to C:\s\s\e\somefile.abc

pa9d6f-4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users