Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really messed up Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ronkar

ronkar

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:54 AM

I installed a ssd on Dell XPS computer. Removed the old hard drive.  When I installed windows 8.1, everything seemed normal,  Computer told me correct ram, 64 bit etc.  Windows 8 worked until I did the upgrades, on the second restart of updates I heard 3 musical beeps then I got a gray screen and the computer is totally frozen.  I then put the old hard drive in and the computer is working fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?   I'm going to try and find a tech.

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2015 - 07:14 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:56 AM

Do you have the last firmware of your SSD installed?

#3 ronkar

ronkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:59 AM

When I tried to install the software that came with the ssd, it wouldn't  install just a blank page for about 15 min, so I installed 8.1

#4 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

After you installed Windows 8.1 you wasn't avaibole to install the software?

#5 ronkar

ronkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

No, I didn't think it was necessary because 8.1 was working fine.  I'm not an expert on computers, not even a novice.   Then it went to the gray screen and now I can't do anything with the computer.    I have to go to work thanks for your interest be back later this afternoon.

#6 ronkar

ronkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

I just installed the software for the ssd, shut off the computer, restarted ran the software the new ssd  tested out  good and it does work as a slave drive.  I looked into the drive and all the files seem to be there, so now I need to make it my primary drive. Can I do that through the boot sequence or do I have to physically change the positions in the computer? The computer is working so good I'm afraid to mess with it.

#7 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Then I don't have any idea, sorry. You can open here a new topic because the problem is about Internal Hardware (SSD).

Best of luck!

#8 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

Your computer freezes just because of junk files in it. So, follow the steps to come out of this condition:
Defrag your hard drive
Uninstall all the unwanted software completely
Upgrade the software updates
Run SFC /SCANNOW to repair your hard drive.
Use registry cleaner like CCleaner or Ninja TuneUp
Boot your computer in safe mode
Also use some good antivirus utility.
Hope the above solution will help you out.

#9 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:11 AM

Also, the antivirus utilities that you can use are Malwarebytes or Norton 360 or Sophos.

Edited by Victoria-Joe, 21 January 2015 - 04:15 AM.

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

Your problem appears to be from your SSD. I have reported to transfer this thread to Internal Hardware.

Also, the antivirus utilities that you can use are Malwarebytes or Norton 360 or Sophos.

Just FYI, MBAM is antimalware... not antivirus. You will still need an AV product alongside MBAM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

My only question is...why did you not just clone the old drive to the SSD...and then remove the old drive in favor of the SSD?

Louis

#12 ronkar

ronkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:42 AM

I thought I had bad hard drive, so I was going to replace it with the ssd.  I ran tweaking computer software and now the old drive works great and i'm using the ssd as a slave and it also works great.  The only problem, I cant switch them around, if I put the ssd in as the primary all I get is a gray screen.  That gray screen won't let me do anything.  I was wondering if I went into the boot sequence if I could change to the ssd as primary drive or do  I have to physically change the position in the computer to be first in the connections?

#13 ronkar

ronkar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

Problem solved.  Cloned ssd from old hard drive ,change mother board connection to ssd, everything working fine. Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users