Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete windows OLD in C: OS

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 gotsaed

gotsaed

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

To remove some malware on Win8.1 (done) I reinstalled windows 8 and then to make room enough for update to win 8.1 I have to remove win old in OS - or make a bigger partition - I dont seem to be able to!! I am admin and i even made a special admin account 

nothing helps

Maybe you can  :unsure:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hi gotsaed :)

You can easily delete the windows.old folder by using the Windows Disk Clean-Up (in-built utility). In order to do so, press on Win Key + R and enter cleanmgr in the Run box, then press on ENTER. From there, if it asks you which drive to scan, select your Windows one, which is C:. Wait for the scan to complete, and a new window will pop up. If you have an option to Clean system files, click on it and repeat the operation. Once done, in the check list that is shown, look for Past Windows installation or Old Windows installation, check it and click on Ok. Once the clean-up is done, the windows.old folder will be removed :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

look for Past Windows installation or Old Windows installation. 

is not there and windows old is there still - it has changed name (114685984250.SH) inside are two folders with names 13 numbers long. One has a file named oo and the other has two folders named servicing and winSxS. none of which can be deleted. It asks for admin rights, which i have 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

It has changed name? It's not windows.old anymore? Download the TakeOwnership Registry edit from HowToGeek here (at the bottom):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Open the archive, and click on "InstallTakeOwnership", and accept the two prompts. Once done, right-click on the folder you want to delete and select "TakeOwnership". Once the command prompt dissapear after the operation, try to delete it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

I downloaded, installed and took ownership. Then i deleted and it ran through the folder and came up with the prompt - you must be an administrator - clicked that and  then access denied.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Can you re-run the Windows Disk Clean-Up tool, and this time, check every single items and delete them all? I think this folder may be a leftover folder from Windows Updates, judging by the name. What's the size of it?

unite_blue.png

#7 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

6.58 GB

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:19 AM

Alright, if you re-run the Windows Disk Clean-Up tool and check every items in the list, then proceed to delete them, is the folder deleted after?

unite_blue.png

#9 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

No it isn't I tried opening up the servicing folder and deleting - no go. There are many security files and a trusted installer program

#10 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

Something is happening

if i right click then properties / security and give user full control i can delete each file singularily

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

You have to do this for every single file, or you can do it on the whole folder?

unite_blue.png

#12 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

I can do it with the files not with the big folder some of the smaller folder inside will delete so this will probably be an all night job 

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

What's the current name of the big folder now, the one that have everything inside?

unite_blue.png

#14 gotsaed

gotsaed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

114685984250.SH) inside are two folders with names 13 numbers long. One has a file named oo and the other has two folders named servicing and winSxS. 

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Instead of deleteing one at a time, try this:

When selecting something to delete, hold down the CTRL key and select several at a time. For example, you can highlight 5 at a time. RIGHT click on one of the highlighted entries then choose DELETE.

OR you can press CTRL and the A key at the same time to highlight everything, then right click, choose Delete.

Anything that cannot be deleted will result in a screen telling you it won't be deleted. There should be options asking what you want to do, choose the appropriate one so you will not be asked the same thing for each one that will not delete.

Windows.old is created when you reinstall the OS from a disk. It back ups all files and folders which you can use after the reinstall to copy or move pictures, documents, music, favorites, etc. on the new installation.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 January 2015 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users