Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS has no menu to select boot drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SCCAC Instructor

SCCAC Instructor

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:47 AM

HP G60-438NR with InsydeH2O bios Rev. 3.5.  When laptop is turned on I get the message "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"  The BIOS diagnostic log says hard drive is failing.  When I go to the BIOS there is no menu  showing the hard drive or DVD drive and no way to select one as the boot drive.

I created a Ubuntu (Linux) disk and tried to boot from the DVD drive but get the same message.  (DVD drive does spin, but very noisy - probably a separate issue.)  I haven't tried the Ubuntu disk in another computer to verify that it is a good disk, so that will be my next step.

I can download an update to the BIOS from HP, but HP's web site indicates that the system has to have a functioning version of Windows,  Since I can't boot the system,  I can't update the BIOS that way.  

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

The BIOS diagnostic log says hard drive is failing.

This is most likely the problem; your HDD failed, that is why you cannot see it listed and you get the message to insert a boot disk. Just to check use Seatools for DOS, my canned tut here:

*Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen click "Seatools For DOS" link, then accept the Eula and download. Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. If Seatools reports that SMART has been tripped that is a bad sign. Next click the upper left corner of the screen for the long test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate.

Next, download OTL (Reatogo boot disk) from my link, burn the ISO to a CD and reboot. If it loads and runs, your DVD and system is running normal. They you will know for sure your HDD failed. While the program is running, check if you can see your hard drive on the desktop screen. If so, you may be able to pull your data off. BTW.... it takes a long time to load, be patient.

If your DVD still will not run, you have other problems. But at least this will get you started.

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTLPENet.exe

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

If a sata device fails (hard drive or dvd drive), it can prevent the entire controller from functioning normally. I would suggest you remove the hard drive from the computer and see if in the bios you can then see the dvd drive. If you can not, remove the dvd drive and put the hard drive back in and check in bios that you can see the hard drive. If you can not detect either of those in the bios you may have a bad sata controller (built into the motherboard), or a bad dvd drive and a bad hard drive.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users