Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux+fat32=?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:17 AM

Which distro (if any) of linux will recognize FAT32?

I tried dual booting with the EXT2 File system that partition magic recommended for me to us PC Linux OS, but it didnt work very well and screwed up my MBR. It messed up both partitions pretty bad so I had to start from scratch.

Now, reason Im asking about FAT32, is because Partition magic has a bootloader that only loads if there is atleast 1 FAT32 present. I know that linux can be read from NTFS, but cant be written on. So thats out of the question.. anyway, Im downloading the puppy linux live cd and am going to mess around with that.. Can anyone help me out here? Also, if none of them read a FAT32, which BL can I use to dual boot between windows xp and a linux distro *Really looking to use Redhat, SuSE, or gentoo*

Thanks!

*Edit

I realize what I wrote in the second paragraph, and I must say that I used NTFS for windows xp, and EXT2 for linux.. Didnt work, they didnt like each other. Even with the linux swap space.. My MBR got all screwy, and I couldnt boot windows.

Edited by Uraiser, 23 June 2006 - 01:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:26 AM

Linux can read NTFS just not write to it. If you are using lilo as the
bootloader on the MBR you need to add "master-boot" to /etc/lilo.conf:
other=/dev/hdb1
label="windows"
master-boot <-this is the line you need to add, windows needs to believe it's the master OS
You should not have any problems with Fat32,Linux reads and writes to it very well.
GParted works way better than PM and it's free.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

If I may ask, How do I access my MBR?

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

P.S.

I havent used LiLO. Yet.. Though I probably will by the end of the weekend.. how do I access my MBR? I know I said in my previous post that it screwed up when I partitioned, which it did, I dont know how to access it though. .Is it boot.ini?

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

The MBR is the first sector of the hard drive containing the boot loader and
partition tables. To access it you will need a program such as MBRWizard:
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/MBRWiz.html
If you indeed screwed up the MBR most likely the computer will not
boot at all from the hard drive and you will need some type of rescue CD.

I tried dual booting with the EXT2 File system that partition magic recommended for me to us PC Linux OS, but it didnt work very well and screwed up my MBR. It messed up both partitions pretty bad so I had to start from scratch.

So you have no OS at all??
If the partitions are still intact and just the MBR is out of wack we can work with that.
I use PCLOS so i can help you get it going.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

Puppy can live in a FAT32 partition. As a matter of fact it installs in a folder instde of windows wen installed as a dual boot. It has a update that allows it t also work instal of a NTFS partition.
I believe Knoppix, Ubuntu, and DSL as so can live in a FAT partition but I have not experimented with them.
You could also use GRUB boot loader.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:37 AM

The MBR is the first sector of the hard drive containing the boot loader and
partition tables. To access it you will need a program such as MBRWizard:
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/MBRWiz.html
If you indeed screwed up the MBR most likely the computer will not
boot at all from the hard drive and you will need some type of rescue CD.

So you have no OS at all??
If the partitions are still intact and just the MBR is out of wack we can work with that.
I use PCLOS so i can help you get it going.

No no, I think you misunderstood me.. This was a while ago.. See what had happend was my partitions must've gotten corrupted somewhere down the line and just.. I dont know, screwed up I suppose.. Im running windows xp, and am about to create another partition to a FAT32 and install SuSE.

#8 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:41 AM

Puppy can live in a FAT32 partition. As a matter of fact it installs in a folder instde of windows wen installed as a dual boot. It has a update that allows it t also work instal of a NTFS partition.
I believe Knoppix, Ubuntu, and DSL as so can live in a FAT partition but I have not experimented with them.
You could also use GRUB boot loader.

Thanks acklan, but I'm not looking to run off of a live cd.. I want to dual boot between windows and Linux. I know its possible, as I've seen people's computer with it. I just need to know which version belongs with what. I tried out atleast 4 versions today, the only ones that even come close to my liking are Knoppix, PCLOS, and slackware.. Im about to try SuSE, only its not a live CD.

#9 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

Long weekend, sorry. Ok I got it working, wasnt that hard. Im running Fedora, im sure you linux buffs know about that so I wont go into detail. Anyway, working great.. Thanks for all the help!

#10 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:03 AM

If you thought that was fun...wait until some problem comes along. Win and Nix get along reasonably well as long as you install windows first (it's actually just the easiest way). If you have to do something with nix and the mbr (cuz after install win could care less about the boot sector) later, that's where the real fun begins!
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#11 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:36 PM

If you thought that was fun...wait until some problem comes along. Win and Nix get along reasonably well as long as you install windows first (it's actually just the easiest way). If you have to do something with nix and the mbr (cuz after install win could care less about the boot sector) later, that's where the real fun begins!

hehe, I know what you mean... I screwed up with PC linux OS, I let it modify the MBR, I should've done it manually.. Bye bye windows.. But I got everything worked out, have had it this way for about a month now..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users