Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About:Blank

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Unlukygeek

Unlukygeek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

I get this installed as my home page every time I change any of my internet settings.  If it is a necessary program for the windows 32 system and 64 system why does it go haywire and interfere with my home page from adding.  I have IE 11 and use windows 7 pro.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 January 2015 - 10:18 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

Please do run AdwCleaner, as requested by M. de Jager. You can read the following article on about:blank.

https://askleo.com/what_is_aboutblank_and_how_do_i_get_rid_of_it/

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

about:blank is just a blank page built into your browser settings based on an Internal URI scheme. Internet Explorer's Internet Options (and other browsers) have several choices for setting your Home Page under the General Tab: "Use current", "Use default", "Use blank". The "Use blank" page setting is exactly what it means...start Internet Explorer with a blank page.

aboutblank-600x165.jpg

This is beneficial for a variety of reasons to include opening the browser faster since there are no images, ads, etc which can impede the loading of a page. Various other web browsers use about:blank to display certain built-in functions or to display information about the browser.Many years ago there was a CWS hijacker with the same about:blank name but that infection is no longer active...for more information, see The CoolWebSearch Chronicles by Metallica. Some folks today who inadvertently encounter that setting and do a Google Search erroneously believe they are infected. When conducting a Google search, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. If you have recently been dealing with a malware infection, be aware that some security tools intentionally reset all installed browsers to default or the "about:blank" setting as part of their routine.

Have you tried to reset your browser hompage settings via Internet Explorer's Tools menu > Internet Options > General tab > Home page > "Use Blank"?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users