Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fujitsu notebook display stays black

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrun

jrun

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

My English student was using her Fujitsu notebook (windows7) when her granddaughter pressed the power button and turned it off.  SInce that time the monitor never displays anything.

Pressing the power button will turn on the power-on light, and the fans start twirling etc., but the screen stays dark.  I've tried powering up while pressing f8, f2, and f12, but the screen always just stays dark.

Perhaps some connecting wire is broken?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

Try powercycling the laptop. Remove the power adapter and main battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Do not put the main battery back but attach the power adapter. See if the computer boots.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 January 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#3 jrun

jrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

Thank you John.

I tried that, and the only difference was that instead of only the power indicator light coming on, the "Scroll Lock", "Num Lock", and "Ten-key" lock indicator lights also came on.

Is there a way to force it to display on a different device?  For example, if I connected a hdmi cable, would it automatically display on the device it is connected to?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

You can try an external monitor if the computer has a external VGA port. You may have to press the Fn + another key to access the external monitor, usually one of the other function keys. The same may be true if the computer has a HDMI port. Do you have a model number for the Fujitsu?

Depending on the age of the computer, it's possible a bad CMOS battery will cause the problem of a laptop not booting. I had a similar problem. Sometimes I had to powercycle the computer twice before it booted. You might want to try that but this time after holding down the power button, replace the battery.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

Try Windows key + P.

Otherwise, the external monitor as JohnC_21 suggested would be your best bet.

#6 jrun

jrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

Well, I took the whole thing apart yesterday.  The owner said it is OK if it goes to the trash, so I treated it a bit roughly, enjoyed looking at its innards, then haphazardly put it back together.  Just to see if it would blow up or something else cool, I plugged it in and pressed the power switch.

ON!

Computers will never cease to amaze me (I'm easily amazed). :0

In checking on some Japanese sites, I see where this Fujitsu FMV Biblio NF/G40 oftens fails where the cpu chip is set on a pedestal, and the soldering cracks somehow.

It doesn't work every time the power is turned on now, but 1 out of 4 times is better than 0 out of 100!

Thank you for your help in this.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Glad you got the problem sorted out, sort of. :)  Thanks for the update. Sometimes these soldering problems are solved by doing a reflow with a heatgun or oven but the fix usually doesn't last.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users