Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malicious behavior from Dropbox program.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ajt49

ajt49

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

Hello, 

Welcome and I hope this is a simple problem. My names Andrew

:bananas:

:step2:  Dropbox folder is capturing 20 gigabytes worth of screenshot pictures. I have caught this behavior two separate times in a matter of a week or two. I use many free programs such as WinDirStat, 7-zip, Dropbox, Citrix reciever, Fraps, Transmission-qt,Tech Powerup GPUz, DeSmuME NDS emulator, ISO to USB, Cheat Engine (for  single mission, play on borderlands, haha). First time finding dropbox filled I manually deleted files. Then, I ran a comprehensive scan of malwarebytes,avast registry scan, and then adwcleaner. I had directory, hot keys tampered with, and maybe something else.  Tonight, I deleted the screenshot folder. I will leave my system un-tampered with if it doesn't get worse, yet I could try uninstalling and re-installing it.  I understand the risks of torrent programs. 

:step3: OS : windows 7 ultimate

:step4: I have used Avast, and Malwarebyte scans. The results showed registry, hot keys hampered with, and another not too serious issue. Unfortunately, Avast is not currently opening and I deleted Malwarebytes. I tried desktop, start menu, and task bar with no success. It did work before.So, no logs unless using a program. But could also be a hdd pathway issue. Long story, short I used my 125 gb as my windows OS C:, and my 1 tb hdd intended for most programs. Backwards logic. I now have programs on various hdd's. I'm hoping, and assuming virus files are held on residual "virus chest" file(s). 

:step5: Problems :

Dropbox using up massive storage space and appears to be malicious activity. Avast is not opening, new development. 

Edited by ajt49, 19 January 2015 - 09:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajt49

ajt49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

Avast has just warned me again of my lack of space on my ssd. So, it happened again. Running WinDirStat to see exactly where. 

#3 ajt49

ajt49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

I think Ill play it safe and reboot. I had a hardware issue with my audio from hdmi out on gigabyte gtx970. Long story short, I figured its my motherboard, new job, thus more income, consequently new motherboard. :) z97 gaming 7 from msi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users