Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

i get an error messege booting windows xp.....

windows\system32\config\system

file is missing or corrupt

it says to insert xp cd and perform repair,

i have no windows xp cd, is there another way to fix this? would hirens help?

also..........

wether i get this fixed or not, i need to recover files and documents from the drive and load them onto a new PC that has windows 8, what is the best way to do this if the current computer is not running?

and what is the best way to do it if the current computer is running?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

I can't help using Hirens because of Forum rules. Do you have a computer with Windows 7?

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

I can't help using Hirens because of Forum rules. Do you have a computer with Windows 7?

no, i only have a computer with windows vista

my main goal is to transfer the files and documents to a new computer with windows 8, even if i cant fix this computer, whats the best way to do that?

i cant use the windows easy transfer, should i remove the hard drive?

if i DO get this computer going, will the easy transfer work between windows xp and windows 8?

is it better to use the easy transfer, or do a backup of the drive? and what would be the difference between the two?

Edited by mikey11, 20 January 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#4 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

My suggestion would be to use a bood cd, eg UBCD, and then use PartedMagic to copy the files/folders you need to a portable hard drive or USB stick.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

My suggestion would be to use a bood cd, eg UBCD, and then use PartedMagic to copy the files/folders you need to a portable hard drive or USB stick.

thanks, still looking at all the options

John.....i DO have a computer with windows 7 on it now

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

For transfering files Parted Magic and an external drive would be the way to go as Adam Pollard suggested. You can download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso file using either Imgburn, or isoburner if your burning utility cannot burn iso files. Use the File Manager on the Parted Magic desktop.  I am not sure about easy transfer. You would not be able to transfer programs though. Those would need to be reinstalled. I think you would be better off getting all data off the XP minus the programs and strarting fresh on the Window 8 computer.

Check this blog.

Using Parted Magic you could try to restore the registry hives and possibly get XP to boot. After the file transfer let me know if you want to try that. If I do not respond, then PM me.

Edit: If you have a Windows 7 computer, forget about Parted Magic and use Aoemi PE builder. It will let you create a bootable USB or CD. It will be easier to work with as it has the familiar Windows explorer. It is simple to run. Just follow the instructions. Aoemi can run on Windows 7 or 8

http://www.aomeitech.com/pe-builder.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

thanks,

if i use the parted majic to backup, how do i install the files on the windows 8 computer?

do i need to run parted majic on that pc also?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

You would copy the files to a USB external hard drive ( or flash drive) then attach the external hard drive to the Windows 8 computer and copy the files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#9 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

You would copy the files to a USB external hard drive ( or flash drive) then attach the external hard drive to the Windows 8 computer and copy the files.

so i just select everthing that i want to copy?

is it kind of like using windows explorer?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

Yes, you would open the File Manager on Parted Magic and select the files/folders you want to copy. You should get familiar with it before copying files. Try copying a small unimportant file to the flash drive first to get an idea of how the file manager works.  It is a little different then explorer. You could do if with Hirens if you are familiar with that but as I posted before, I can't help with Hirens.

#11 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Yes, you would open the File Manager on Parted Magic and select the files/folders you want to copy. You should get familiar with it before copying files. Try copying a small unimportant file to the flash drive first to get an idea of how the file manager works.  It is a little different then explorer. You could do if with Hirens if you are familiar with that but as I posted before, I can't help with Hirens.

thanks, i cant figure out what program to use on hirens, im trying to create the UBCD now and having issues

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

If your are talking about the linux UBCD then that is not as user friendly as Parted Magic.

#13 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

If your are talking about the linux UBCD then that is not as user friendly as Parted Magic.

no, im trying to create an UBCD but

everytime i do the "build" part (building the iso file) when it finishes it has two errors so the iso file is not created,

any ideas?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

Not on that, no. If you can, I would recommend you build a WinPE disk on Windows 7 or Windows 8 using Aoemi PE builder. If not then use Parted Magic. It is not that hard to use.

#15 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

okay i managed to get the UBCD created, cant seem to find parted majic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users