Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubles Restoring Registry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

Yesterday, before installing a new application, I ran ERUNT. Later, I uninstalled the program with Revo Uninstaller and removed all the registry entries it listed. When I tried to use ERDNT.EXE to restore the registry to what it was earlier that day, I got this warning for each of the following files:

Unable to create a backup of the current registry file

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY!

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software!
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system!
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default!
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM!
C:\DOCUMEN --1\Owner\NTUSER.DAT !
C:\DOCUMEN --1\Owner\LOCALS--1\MICROS-\Windows\UsrClass.dat!

Continue restoration of this file?

I've never seen that before. Not knowing what it means, I chose No each time.  I went back to an earlier Erunt back up and tried to restore that one, but the same thing happened.

Can anybody explain?  Does it mean the Erunt backup failed for some reason?  Does Erdnt ususally make another backup before performing a restore?  Scratching my head.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

Each of those listings is a registry hive. Erunt is telling you that it is going to overwrite the existing registry (hive by hive). If you are certain you want to restore the backup you created earlier in the day, just say yes. In the future, the safest way to create a safe haven to which you can return is with disc imaging software (Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, etc).

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

Hey, thanks so much for answering. I was concerned because I'd never gotten a message from ERDNT when restoring a registry backup. And yes, I use Macrium Reflect However, I only run it once a month, and I wouldn't want to have to restore the whole system just because of uninstalling an application I didn't care for.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users