Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Format failure?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matthewap44

Matthewap44

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

So my friend got a new computer from his friend and he put it together,  got it running and tried reformating the hard drive but the dvd- rom didnt work so i took his hard drive and put it in my computer reformatted it for him and ran a windows 7 64-bit installation disc and it installed correctly and booted up. well when i put his hard drive back into his computer it goes to the windows 7 blue loading screen and then instantly restarts and goes to a screen saying start up normally or launch windows repair system. i took the hard drive back out and put it in my computer and it loaded up fine. Could something be wrong with his ram or cpu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hi Matthewap44 :)

You cannot install Windows on a HDD on a computer, then move it to another one, with different hardware and expect it to work. See my explanation here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563755/new-build-windows-7-on-old-hd-workingcan-i-format-drive/#entry3600901

You'll have to install Windows on the HDD directly from your friend's computer. If the CD/DVD-ROM isn't working, you can always create a USB bootable installation media :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

Aura, a lot depends upon what the seller included with the new computer, correct?  Maybe the friend did not include any OS?  If that's what happened, the only solution would be to purchase either an OEM OS or Microsoft "blue-disk" OS.  I'm so old I remember the earlier Windows were somewhat "borrowable" [not supposed to be "loaned!"]   Not anymore.  One computer, one OS.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 January 2015 - 11:01 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

Hi Roland, no it doesn't. No matter how you install the OS, with which copy, what product key (licence), etc., if you install an OS on a HDD inside a computer, then move it to another one with different hardware, you'll encounter driver compatibility issues, since the drivers installed on Windows on Computer #1 will be different from the drivers on Computer #2 and it can make Windows unable to boot. The issue right now isn't the product key, but the fact that Windows didn't boot when the HDD it was installed on was switched from a HDD to another, and I just explained why :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users