Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports don't work after chipset driver installation?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TitusRaven26

TitusRaven26

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

So i installed the wrong gpu drivers in my computer. That gave me a bsod....i just reinstalled the amd drivers from the website and now none of my USB ports work;doing this from my phone... Help?

I believe one of the drivers was labeled "USB filter"?

◾Windows 8.1
◾AMD FX-6100
◾Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
◾16 Gbs Dual Channel DDR3
◾2048 ATI AMD Radeon HD 7870
◾RAIDMAX HYBRID2 RX-73OSS 73OW

Edited by TitusRaven26, 19 January 2015 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

This is the WIndows 7 forum. Is this the computer from the other thread where I said to leave the drivers alone because there were no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? Is it both USB2 and USB3 ports that are not functioning?

Can you boot the computer without a BSOD? You said you are posting from your phone but it seems you can boot the computer from your description. Does the graphics driver now work?

#3 TitusRaven26

TitusRaven26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

uh yeah... listen,..the guy who posted after you made an interesting idea... so i tried it... and failed... miserably. also,.. dont know if theres a "drivers" section in this forum either.

anyway, after the bsod, i was still able to enter my computer and log in, so naturally, i uninstalled the driver that most likely caused the issue; the "optional" chipset driver. after that, i went back to the manfacturers website to see if the downloads were still on the fritz and they werent... so i installed THAT one... and now this. all USB ports dont work and i cant log on because i only have usb mice and keyboards...however, booting to the bios seems to work and the other 3 options too: boot options, q-flash, and system info.

not sure if that helps... but thanx...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

That is kind of tough because you have to be in windows in order to install the USB drivers. The only one available on the Gigabyte site is for the Eltron USB3.0 driver.  If you cannot log in to Windows, I am not sure how you can update the driver.

If you have a Windows 8.1 install disk, you may be able to do a Sfc /scannow at the command prompt to repair any corrupted system files. USB2.0 drivers are part of the Windows install disk. You may be able to do a System Restore with the Windows install disk to a previous date but I am not that familiar with Windows 8.

Note: If you have a UEFI bios you should be able to get to the recovery settings. I would try a sfc /scannow at the command prompt first and if that does not work try a System Restore to a date before the problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20256-uefi-firmware-settings-boot-inside-windows-8-a.html  This link is not what I wanted. I was hoping to get to recovery options through UEFI , not through Windows as this link suggested.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2269-system-recovery-options-boot-windows-8-a.html

Edit: Check this link on repairing the computer using the install disk. Middle of page.

Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8/8.1 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 January 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#5 TitusRaven26

TitusRaven26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

Oh! Right! I have win 7... Not win 8.. Sorry for the mix up. I did try the restore point thing, but it gave me an error saying it couldn't detect what the os was.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:45 PM

That is not good. It should detect that you have Windows 7. If you have Windows 7 then can you get to safe mode tapping F8. Hopefully your keyboard works in safemode.

Tapping F8 and selecting Repair Computer should get you to the screen that give you the system restore option. You tried this and still it could not detect the OS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users