Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a New Multimedia/Gaming Laptop, Open to Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Okay, so I have been spinning around and doing lots of research on computers lately. I was uncertain of whether to get a desktop or a laptop. Now after extensive thinking and research, I came to the conclusion that I am in the market for a laptop. Versitility was the deciding factor.

So with that said, I am searching for laptops. The only problem is that I am drowning in an ocean of models and features. I just would like to find the right one for me. Here is my criteria

My budget for the new computer is:
$1000-$1500
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
School work, web browsing, light-mid gaming, video-editing, streaming video games using programs such as xsplit, game capturing using the elgato hd, ripping my dvd collection

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Elgato hd software that comes with the device when I eventually get it, PowerDirector or Adobe Elements for video-editing, and Xsplit or OBS for game streaming

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Dota 2 and any indie or modern games from Steam, and emulation of retro systems.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

By habit, I have programs open at the same time. But for the sake of the new system, I can adapt and close unnecessary programs and online tabs.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Yes! I will need a place for my photos and music. Most importantly, I will need the space to store HD video and dvd collection. I will be investong in a portable hard-drive just in case for the storage need.

Will you be overclocking?

I do not understand the concept of overclocking. All that I know is that I have never had it. May be unlikely that I will need it.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
North Carolina for shipping

How many monitors are you planning to use?
2-3, need it for hdmi support; coulkd use an old vga monitor, but more commonly the one on the laptop and an hdmi tv screen

Do you need peripherals? OS?
Probably not, since it is a laptop. Latest Windows OS, 8.1 since 10 is not out yet

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
I had an old HP Pavilion DV7-4087CL NoteBook go out, leaving me only with a tablet and an old Acer Aspire 5520-5912 (2007, thats was built for Vista) and a 2006 custom built Desktop that was built for XP.
So yes, I need a complete upgrade from these models.

Here are a couple of models I have been looking at. Other suggestions are welcomed:

Lenovo Y70:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68622X4397&cm_mmc=CNETFinders-_-
NotebookFinder-_-na-_-na

MSI dominator:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152554

MSI dominator with ssd:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152624R

ASUS N550JK
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N550JK/

Please help steer me towards the right direction of all of these overwhelming computer models and specs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

If you are looking for most powerful computer for the lowest price, I would recommend the MSI without the SSD.  It has a very good CPU and video card (for a laptop), and will perform well for all of the applications you are talking about.

If you want the highest specifications out of all of them, the used MSI with SSD will be the "fastest," but way more expensive.  It also has double the RAM if you tend to have a lot of programs running at once, or rendering heavy applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users