Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build / Windows 7 on old HD. Working..Can I format drive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hey guys! I have a question for you smart smart people :) I recently built a new computer with every penny I had, so I don't have money for a new Windows license. In fact, the only thing not new in my computer is the hard drive which has windows 7 installed on it. That was my work around not having to cough up another $100 I simply don't have. Anyway, at first windows said it wasn't Genuine after I put it in my new computer. I figured it was because they detected the new motherboard. So after a few days of threats, I clicked on the "resolve issue now" button and luckily Windows did a check on my computer and deemed it Genuine after all! Yeeah!

But here is the issue.. Everything is running really slow and I'm pretty sure it's because my hard drive needs to be formatted and have windows reinstalled since it's been WAYYYYY too long. I'm afraid if I format and then reinstall Windows 7 I might not get as lucky with the genuine issue. (By the way this IS a OEM copy of Windows, hence my fear) I had DJBPace07 helping me a lot recently so I didn't wanna bug him anymore. But when I told him that windows was at first saying it was NOT Genuine, check out his reply:

"Reusing an old Windows drive is possible, but you need to reinstall Windows due to low-level drivers.  If you reinstalled Windows and it doesn't activate over the internet, you can call Windows for activation.  If all else fails, you can try Linux.  I prefer Debian, but it will be a large learning curve."

Not sure what he means by low-level drivers, but that could be another reason things are kinda slow. It sounds like HE thinks I may be able to reinstall windows. Although I'm sure if it gets to the point that I have to call them for help, they will screw me over. They like to do that lol. And Linux is out of the question for me.

So thoughts? Advice? Any ideas are MUCH appreciated. You guys are the best, so I know if it can be done you guys will know how. Maybe the windows CD will have a format and reinstall option that will work or something? Thanks in advance guys :)

Colin

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

I find it amusing...that you are trying to do that which is NOT suggested (moving hard drive with drivers/settings for System 1...to System 2 (new motherboard)...and yet make thisi quote:  "Although I'm sure if it gets to the point that I have to call them for help, they will screw me over."

Who is "them/they"?  If you refer to Microsoft because they want to invoke policies designed to protect legal installs of their product...I really have nothing to say, other than it seems to me that you want an answer that clearly verges on the miracle side of life.

"Reusing an old Windows drive is possible, but you need to reinstall Windows due to low-level drivers.  If you reinstalled Windows and it doesn't activate over the internet, you can call Windows for activation.  If all else fails, you can try Linux.  I prefer Debian, but it will be a large learning curve."

That quote makes sense to me...it's very similar to the advice anyone should have provided you regarding installing Windows, changing motherboards, and activation, IMO.

Louis

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hi Slave :)

Honestly, what I would do is to grab my product key using ProduKey, then remove the product key from the current Windows installation and re-install Windows. From there, I would use the product key to activate it and if it doesn't work, use the phone activation. Also, DJBPace07 is right. You know that every OS uses drivers to interact with the hardware, right? Well what happens when you "swap" on HDD from a computer to another, which doesn't have the same hardware, is basically to "force" the current OS to change its drivers for the hardware present on the new build it's being used on. A such operation is really risky, since it can lead to system instability and make your OS boot in a loop without any way of fixing it, other than reinstalling the OS. In the rare occasion where it works, like yours, the OS will be affected by all the drivers it had to reinstall at a quick speed and both the old and new drivers are going to "clash" with each other, creating instability. And this is your current situation. This is what he meant by "low level drivers", mainly the ones for the motherboard and CPU. So follow my instructions above, reinstall Windows and you should be good to go :) If you need help in finding and installing drivers that aren't getting installed during the install, let me know and I'll gladly help you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the FAST replies guys! :)

Lemme start by replying to hamluis.. are you saying you find it amusing that I tried this because I didn't know any better and that it's not recommended?? I only had $400 to work with from the start because my family is poor.. Buying what I could with THAT little bit of money is not too good too begin with. So I would have had to chose either a new computer or Windows with no computer to use it with. And actually, I got the idea from DJ in order to not have to buy a new windows, yet he did say it needed to be reinstalled so I am kinda confused as to why he would think that would work that way, but not on a new hard drive. Also, is it really SO crazy that I thought that maybe I could uninstall my old MB drivers, GPU drivers etc. and then get the new ones? I'm not as savvy as you guys, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'm also glad you got a kick out of my quote, and yes "them" is Microsoft. I understand them wanted to protect themselves, I just know that it's most likely that they would not be willing to help me in any way. I also don't think it's fair to have to pay another $100 to use the same product I already payed for.. it's not like I'm asking for an upgrade or something. These guys make more money then we could imagine no matter what. Either way, what I think is fair doesn't matter, but don't fault me for trying to find a loophole in order to have my new computer working. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or something. I might be wrong, but I just got the "You're dumb" feeling from your reply.

Aura, thanks for your advice as well :) I have a few questions for ya though. Since I still have the Windows 7 box with the Product Key on it. then I shouldn't need to use that Key Recovery program, right? Ok then I follow you on removing the key before reinstalling Windows. Here is a lame question hehe.. it's just been such a long time. In order to clean my drive and reinstall windows where do I start? Do I boot off my windows cd and look for an option there to format partition and re-install? Or what? And you said to use phone activation if my windows is installed and isn't shown as Genuine, (Or at least that's what I think you meant) anyway by phone activation do you mean calling MS or is there an activate over the phone option they have? Alright, last and most important question.. do you think it's likely that after doing this it will be found as Genuine again? Because if not, I'd be out of a computer:( Therefore maybe I should leave things the way they are because everything works, I just know it could work a lot better. Anyways, thank you so much for all your help and also taking the time to explain things for me, you rock dude! =)

Colin

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

Alright let's see your questions, one by one :)

Since I still have the Windows 7 box with the Product Key on it. then I shouldn't need to use that Key Recovery program, right?

No you don't need to use ProduKey then. This was meant to be used if you didn't know your product key, or didn't have it written down somewhere.

In order to clean my drive and reinstall windows where do I start? Do I boot off my windows cd and look for an option there to format partition and re-install? Or what?

Yes. It's simple as that :) Simply boot from your Windows installation DVD and follow the steps. Once you get to the part where it asks you on which partition you want to install Windows, select the one that have the current Windows on it (you should recognize it by the total space of that partition and its free space), then click on Advanced Settings after selecting that partition and click on Format. Wait for the operation to complete and move on with your installation.

And you said to use phone activation if my windows is installed and isn't shown as Genuine, (Or at least that's what I think you meant) anyway by phone activation do you mean calling MS or is there an activate over the phone option they have?

The "Phone Activation" methods involves you to call an automated service that will help you activate your Windows product with the product key you have. For more information, you can consult Microsoft's article here:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en

Alright, last and most important question.. do you think it's likely that after doing this it will be found as Genuine again? Because if not, I'd be out of a computer:(

If you do everything properly, I'm sure that it'll work. Even if it doesn't, if your Windows becomes "non-genuine", it doesn't means that it won't work. You can still use it, but a few features will be disabled, like changing the background (which will stay pitch black), getting an activation pop-up everytime you log in your profile, etc. Other than that, your Windows will work for pretty much anything else. Also, you should have a 30 days trial before being obligated to enter the product key. Once that trial expire, you can renew it 3 more times via the command prompt, for a total of 120 days, which gives you a lot of time to make a bit of money and buy a new product key if that one ever fails (which I doubt).

Looks like I covered all your questions :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

WOW You are certainly a FAST responder ;) I have to run to the store for a min before I can even read your answer, but thanks so much! I'll be back soon:)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

No problem Slave :) You can say that I just started being active on BleepingComputer, and I'm known to be someone who replies quite fast to the threads I assist with haha :) All good, take your time, I'll be online to whole evening.

unite_blue.png

#8 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

Alrighty thanks!! Sounds like a plan! That's all good news to me:) I'm not going to do it for a while though. I have to locate saved games for the games I have installed, write down all the essential programs I'll want to get again and back up anything else I want to save :) Thanks again so much and glad to have ya here at bleepingcomputer.com! Ok, I'm feeling weak so I'm going to give in and get some Wendy's food lol. Have a great night!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

No problem Slave :) I'm following your thread and will be noticed of any update you post in it, so let me know how it goes! Have a great night and enjoy your Wendy's :wink:

unite_blue.png

#10 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

You said you have an OEM version of windows and that you installed it on new hardware?  This shouldn't work as the OEM license is registered to the 1st PC it's installed to.  i.e. If you have a Dell PC with windows OEM installed on it, you can't transfer the license to another PC because the key is tied to the Dell PC.  OEM licenses are not transferable to new hardware.  Only retail licenses are.

Retail License

• Install on computer 1, use it for a while,
  • Then buy a new computer. Wipe the OS from computer 1. Install on the new computer (#2), use it for a few years, ...
  • Buy even newer hardware (computer #3). Wipe computer #2, install it on computer #3, ...
  • etc etc

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to the normal full license retail versions except for the following:

• OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel.
  • OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on.
  • OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
  • OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Transfer of license
minus.gif
Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?

A. After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC. However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user, the software media, manuals (if applicable), and Certificate of Authenticity label must be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?

A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The Microsoft Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why an OEM System Builder License can't be transferred.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/transfer_oem_licenses.aspx#fbid=96aIwCwn2Ed

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users