Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2008 32-bit and Virtualization

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Hi!

I have Windows Server 2008 (the first version, not R2), 32-bit installed on and older desktop. I would like to install a good virtual machine and make it run Windows XP as a guest so I can learn some Server-Client things this way. Since my Windows Server 2008 is 32-bit I can't use Hyper-V. Sadly, I can't install Virtual PC since Windows Server 2008 is not supported as a host system for it.

I would like a good virtualization software that will work on Windows Server 2008 32-bit, especially regarding interaction with the virtual XP client PC. So which (free) alternative would you suggest?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

basically what you are trying to achieve is near on impossible with the limitations of 32 bit operating system.

2 ^ 32 / 1024 / 1024 = 4096 . Thats your RAM limit right there.

You should have installed 64 bit WinServ because the most allocated RAM you would be able to give would be near on zero mate (To guest Virtual).

If i where you, i would install 64 bit WinServ 2008R2 (Trial of 180 days can be achieved if you do not want to pay for it) then with more ram, install the virtual XP machine.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Assuming you have enough ram [you don't state] you could take the approach of using xp as the host and virtual pc to house 2008 as guest.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2007/08/05/testing-windows-server-2008-using-virtual-pc-step-by-step.aspx

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

You could try VMWare Player v6 to run XP as a virtual machine.

After you have VMWare Player installed, follow these instructions to Create a New Virtual Machine in VMWare Player.

EDIT: Note: VMWare Player is free!

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 24 January 2015 - 10:21 PM.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users