Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you guys think about wincleaner?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

https://www.wincleaner.com/

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2015 - 04:12 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

Title: What do you guys think about wincleaner?

This is why I hate forums...

What do YOU think about it? Why do YOU want US to tell what we think of it?

Oh, nice reffeal you have and I don't need it, see the post above.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

http://www.notebookreview.com/softwarereview/wincleaner-oneclick-professional-clean-11-review/ from 2010 so some things have changed since then (it is now USB instead of a program you have to install) but still a good read. I imagine the cons still apply to the USB version.

As it states in the review anything it can do can be done with built in Windows tools.

There are also reputable 3rd party tools which will do the same thing.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

This is why I hate forums...

What do YOU think about it? Why do YOU want US to tell what we think of it?

Oh, nice reffeal you have and I don't need it, see the post above.

I have never used it so I don't have an opinion about it which is why I inquired here to see maybe if it's something worthwhile which I can use, hope that answers your question?

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

I think I should heed the advice on this one since it can possibly do some harm might be best to stay away from it, thanks guys!

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

Good choice to stay away from it.

The same thing applies to similar products which claim to be a cure-all for whatever ails your computer.
All make the same claims. All are a waste of money.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Just to throw my hat in the ring ..........

From Microsoft not from here. Are registry cleaners necessary? - Windows Help

Only Temp Files (Temp File Cleaner) should be removed, not Genuine Installed Files ..  similar programs are suited to that.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Official Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

This article describes the Microsoft support policy for customers who use registry cleaning utilities that rely on unsupported methods to extract or modify the contents of a Windows Registry...Windows continually references the registry in the background and it is not designed to be accessed or edited. Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning. However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities. These issues might require users to reinstall the operating system due to instability. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved without a reinstallation of the Operating System as the extent of the changes made by registry cleaning utilities varies from application to application...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners...

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:22 PM

I'm so old I remember the one safe Registry Cleaner - from Microsoft, titled Microsoft RegClean, for Windows 3.1-WFW 3.11.

To my knowledge, Microsoft never recommended any registry cleaner except that one.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 January 2015 - 10:25 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:51 AM

I'm so old I remember the one safe Registry Cleaner - from Microsoft, titled Microsoft RegClean, for Windows 3.1-WFW 3.11.
To my knowledge, Microsoft never recommended any registry cleaner except that one.

A lot of registry tutorials also state that RegClean is unsafe and causes more problems than it is worth, so it is gone from all subsequent Windows installations.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

RegClean was an early registry cleaner created and distributed by Microsoft. It was available on the Microsoft Download Center and last updated to v4.1a build 7364.1 in 1998. Microsoft ceased development because of incompatibility issues with many Microsoft Office and Visio products requiring the release of a KB299958 to address the problem and later removed it from the Download Center.

RegMaid was another utility that was discontinued. It was designed for programmers to clean invalid registry entries caused by deleting OLE projects created with Visual C++ and Microsoft Foundation Classes.Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities (KB2563254) was released in 2011 in response to years of ongoing issues with third-party registry cleaners wrecking havoc on the Windows Registry.

Microsoft Fix it was introduced in 2010 as beta software in an attempt to automatically diganose and fix common issues with Windows XP and Vista machines. Microsoft also released an online version where users can select from a list of general categories. Microsoft Fix it is not a comprehensive registry cleaning tool. The Microsoft Fix it service consists of various but specific automated fix solutions for Windows, Internet Explorer, Office, and a selection of other Microsoft tools and applications. Fix it solutions can be used to quickly repair a problem instead of going through a more time consuming troubleshooting process. Fix It is still primarily aimed at Windows XP and Vista systems since Windows 7 has built-in diagnostics (Find and Fix Problems) which can be accessed via Control Panel > System Security. However, Fix it solutions are available for download and will also work on Windows 7.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

RegMaid was another utility that was discontinued. It was designed for programmers to clean invalid registry entries caused by deleting OLE projects created with Visual C++ and Microsoft Foundation Classes.

I think this is the actual reason why Registry Cleaners were created and used. I recall an article by one of the developper of Sysinternals Suite that explained why developpers would use a Registry Cleaner with OLE projects, but then ceased to use them as techniques improved and now the Registry can be cleaned in quite an efficient way, or the developpers found a way to clean the Registry themself (clean it from the projects they link to it). There's no real reason to use Registry Cleaners. You won't gain anything out of it: it won't solve any issues, it won't stop your system from doing BSOD, you won't gain any performance, etc. In fact, you have more chance to harm/break your system by using a Registry Cleaner than "fixing" it, or "improving" it. The only "Registry Cleaning" method that will work to improve your system performance is to clean malicious Registry entries (malware related) and also manage your Registry loading point (like Run, RunOnce, etc.) These are NOT done via Registry Cleaners, but Antimalware tools that scans the Registry for malicious entry, and also a manual management of your Startup programs and services via the Registry or any other utility like msconfig or Autoruns.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

Thanks to you all for those informative posts!  I agree, best to not use utilities -- except for specific purposes.  I'm saving a lot of the advice found in this forum, for reReading offline.  Again, thanks!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users