Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Routers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Timb117

Timb117

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

I just moved to an area where satellite internet is my only option. I signed up with Hughesnet and the speed is "ok". My problem is I have a company VOIP phone and there is a big delay when talking on it. (3 to 5 seconds). I have Linksys EA2700 router. If I upgraded the router would that fix my delay problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

Unfortunately because of significant satellite propagation delays, the answer is very likely no.

If your VOIP phone is equipped with an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#8P8C connector, interconnect directly to a similar modular (LAN) connector on your HughesNet residential hardware (satellite modem) for the most difinitive answer. This temporary test will eliminate the EA2700 router in question from the configuration.

Edited by 1PW, 19 January 2015 - 02:58 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 Timb117

Timb117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

Thanks. I thought about that but the only other connection on the modem is a USB, which my phone does not have.

#4 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hello Timb117:

So as to bring greater clarity to this thread, do you mean your HughesNet provided modem does not have an ethernet LAN connector? ...and neither does your company supplied VoIP hardware?

If it's not too much trouble, it would be great if you could provide the vendor brand and model of your VoIP hardware, and the model number of your HughesNet modem.

Thank you.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#5 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

He is suggesting that you temporarily unplug your router and plug the VOIP phone directly into the HughesNet router, that way you can see if the router is causing the delay or if it's just the internet connection itself.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#6 Timb117

Timb117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Problem is the modem has no phone connection. Just a USB.

#7 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Several years ago, I tried to use VOiP  with Hughes. It won't work because of the upload speed. It's just not fast enough. 

Edited by Booh-kitty, 22 January 2015 - 08:33 PM.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#8 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

Problem is the modem has no phone connection. Just a USB.

On the rear side of the Linksys EA2700 router, what do you connect the INTERNET (WAN) modular connector to?

Is your company provided VoIP telephone normally connected to any one of modular connectors 1 through 4 (LAN) of the Linksys EA2700 router?

This is why I asked which make/model HughesNet modem has been provided to you, and which make/model VoIP equipment.

We still might be able to help you.

#9 Timb117

Timb117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

On the back of the Linksys the cord going to the modem is pluged into the "internet" connection. That is plugged into the "wan" on the Hughes modem. The modem model is HT1100.

#10 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

Can't you interconnect the VoIP equipment with the HughesNet HT1100 and bypass your Linksys EA2700 router then?

That modular connector you are describing on the rear of the HughesNet HT1100 uses eithernet protocol. It is not USB at that point.

Reference: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1039650-0001_a.pdf, page 8, figure 2. LAN modular connector.

Does your VoIP equipment have a similar modular connector? If so, you wish to interconnect those to bypass the router.

Edited by 1PW, 23 January 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#11 Timb117

Timb117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

I just unhooked the line from the router going into the modem and plugged in the phone line in the spot. The phone did not work

#12 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

You will likely need to go through the initial installation setup phase because the VoIP hardware probably was parameterized to an IP address of 192.168.x.x and now it will need to be the IP address that has been assigned to you by HughesNet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users