Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to internet browsers after using AwdCleaner

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 compnoob1234

compnoob1234

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time out to help me.

My comp is running on Windows 8.1

I recently installed AwdCleaner to cleanout the Radio Canyon malware that produces ads and highlighted words on the screen. However afterwards I could not be connected to the internet via any browser Firefox IE or Chrome. I went on some websites and tried minitoolbox, unhide, RogueKiller and zoek to restore the internet connection but none of those has worked. The same wifi in my room can connect me to the internet via my mobile phone and another laptop so the problem should not be with the router.

Could you help me please? I also have on my comp Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 version which I have disable to run the above programmes.

Thank you very much.

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2015 - 07:52 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 compnoob1234

compnoob1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:46 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply. I do not know how to check if my wireless driver is installed. However I tried the trouble shooting option by Windows Network Diagnostic and it says the Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems.

Please see below for my MiniToolBox log.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 30-11-2014
Ran by Mr Phong (administrator) on 19-01-2015 at 17:25:50
Running from "C:\Users\Mr Phong\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Single Language  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ==============================

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.

========================= FF Proxy Settings: ==============================

"Reset FF Proxy Settings": Firefox Proxy settings were reset.

========================= Hosts content: =================================

**** End of log ****

#3 compnoob1234

compnoob1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:49 AM

Oh and I tried restarting the comp in Safe Mode with networking. Didn't work.

#4 compnoob1234

compnoob1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

I have uninstalled the Anchorfree HSS Drivers from my Computer Devices (they were with exclamation marks). I think there is something wrong with this driver. What steps should I take next?

#5 compnoob1234

compnoob1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:15 AM

It is ASUS N56J. Please let me know if you need any other information. Should I reinstall another version of Anchorfree from http://www.driverscape.com/download/anchorfree-hss-vpn-adapter

Edited by compnoob1234, 19 January 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#6 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

I also had this issue after using adwcleaner.  (unfortunately I was working on this pc remotely) I found that every time i tried to open the adapter properties, wired or wireless, explorer would crash, and even trying to run ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew would say the adapter was not connected. I ran a system restore, and this resolved my connection issues. ( had to go to the users location to do so)

I will say I have used adwcleaner many times in the past and that was the first time I had see this issue after using it.

#7 compnoob1234

compnoob1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:44 AM

If I do a system restore, do I need to reinstall the Windows 8 that originally came with the laptop? Also will such a restore delete all my files including documents and movies?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Internet connectivity problems can occur for a variety of reasons to include corrupted networking software installation, third-party software inserting itself into the network adapter settings, misconfiguration or corruption issues with TCP/IP protocol stack and Winsock due to malformed LSP, deletion or incorrect removal of networking software and removal of a malware component which had inserted itself into the winsock, changes in proxy settings, etc. Below are some common (but simple) solutions which can help resolve connectivity issues. More advanced users may want to try NetAdapter Repair All In One, the Swiss army knife to fix common networking and winsock issues or WinsockReset by Foolish IT.

:step1: Sometimes just restarting a computer can restore a sudden lost Internet connection. Other times, the loss may be due to outages and disruptions within your ISP's network or the local tower. If using a satellite even extreme weather can cause a loss ot Internet connection. If rebooting did not restore the connection and there are no issues with your ISP, try to repair your Internet Connection with Windows Network Connection Repair & Troubleshooting Tool.
kb20157-002_en_v4.png.png

:step2: Reset and renew the IP address.

Press the WINKEY + R keys on your keyboard or click Start > Run and in the Open dialog box, type: cmd
* Click OK or press Enter. A dos Window will appear.
* To change to the ROOT directory (C:\>), at the command prompt type: cd \
* At the command prompt C:\>_, type: ipconfig /release
* Press Enter and reboot your computer.
ipconfig_4a.gif
If using Vista/Windows 7/8, use an elevated command prompt.
* Click the Start Orb and in the Search box, type: cmd
* Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator (or use Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
* Click Yes if prompted by the User Account Control.

Alternatively, click the Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
* At the command prompt C:\>_, type:ipconfig /release
* Press Enter.
* When the prompt comes back, type: ipconfig /renew
* Press Enter.
* Close the command box and and see if that fixes the connection. No reboot needed.

:step3: Flush the DNS resolver cache and register.

Press the WINKEY + R keys on your keyboard or click Start > Run and in the Open dialog box, type: cmd
* At the command prompt C:\>_, type: ipconfig /flushdns
* Press Enter.
* At the command prompt C:\>_, type: ipconfig /registerdns
* Press Enter.
354x64xflush-dns.jpg.pagespeed.ic.1jsLC-
* Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator (or use Ctrl+Shift+Enter).

Alternatively, click the Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
* At the command prompt C:\>_, type:ipconfig /release
* Press Enter.
* When the prompt comes back, type: ipconfig /flushdns
* Press Enter.
* You will get a confirmation that the flush was successful.
* At the command prompt C:\>_, type: ipconfig /registerdns
* Press Enter.
* Close the command box.

:step4: Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation. This can usually be fixed by resetting the winsock.

* At the command prompt C:\>_, type: netsh winsock reset
netshcmdprompt.png

* At the command prompt C:\>_, type:netsh winsock reset

If needed, type these commands, one line at a time, pressing Enter after each.
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset

You can also reset the TCP/IP protocol to its default state with this command, then pressing Enter.
netsh int ip reset

:step5: In some cases third-party software (good and bad) will insert itself into the network adapter settings. If not removed properly or inadvertently removed by security tools, loss of connectivity often results. For example, if AdwCleaner removes components related to Hotspot Shield, or similar VPN software, loss of Internet Connection will occur unless uninstalled first.
25e7e385-9327-4f7d-aab0-afa5aaf952ba_49.

:step6: Check/reset your network settings and Configure TCP/IP to use DNS.
* Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections in XP or Network and Sharing Center > View or Manage network connections in Vista/Windows 7.
* Right-click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or connection that you want to change, and and choose Properties.
* Double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or highlight it and select Properties in XP.
* Click the Networking tab, click either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) in Vista/Windows 7/8, and choose Properties.
* Under the General tab, write down any settings in case you should need to change them back.
* Select the button that says "Obtain an IP address automatically" or make sure the DNS server IP address is the same as provided by your ISP.
* Select the button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
f598cd96-6bf9-47be-942d-7d0b0afdbd88_47.
* If unknown Preferred or Alternate DNS servers are listed, uncheck the box that says "Use the following DNS server address".
* Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer. If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.

CAUTION: It's possible that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) requires specific DNS settings here. Make sure you know if you need these settings or not BEFORE you make any changes or you may lose your Internet connection. If you're sure you do not need a specific DNS address, then you may proceed.

:step7: Check/Reset Proxy settings in case they have been altered.

You can use a simple tool like RKill which will automatically reset your Internet settings so that they are not using a proxy or just refer to the instructions below.

If using Internet Explorer, please refer to Steps 4-7 under the section Automated Removal Instructions in this guide.
* Press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click the Start Orb > Run... , and in the Open dialog box, type: inetcpl.cpl
* Click OK or press Enter.

Alternatively, click the Start Orb and in the Search Box, type: the same command (inetcpl.cpl) as you would enter in the Run Open dialog box...then click on it in the list of displayed results.

* Click OK or press Enter.
* Click the Connections tab and continue following the instructions in the above guide to uncheck the checkbox labeled "Use a proxy server for your LAN".
uncheck-proxy.jpg
If using FireFox, refer to these instructions to check and configure Proxy Settings under Advanced Options > Network tab > Connection Settings.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

I use this tool and is working good after I reboot the PC http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/  is a must have tool when you have issues ... be sure you unistalled firewall drivers or left overs if you had Comodo Firewall or other firewall drivers , if you try to disable and enable you network connection after you unplug your router could also work , also verify DNS  IP"s   could be hijacked or not responding because of malware :smash:

#10 compnoob1234

compnoob1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH I FINALLY MANAGED TO GET IT TO WORK!! :bananas: by uninstalling hotspot shield from my drivers. (following this link http://hotspotshieldproblemfix.blogspot.sg/ as provided in Bleepin' Janitor's reply) I think the Anchorfree program also comes from Hotspot Shield. Actually is Hotspot Shield a worthwhile program to install on the computer because it caused all this trouble...

Edited by compnoob1234, 19 January 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

AdwCleaner is a good program to remove adware, but unfortunately, it doesn't only remove adware. It also removes some programs that come bundled up with adware (which can be denied very easily by unchecking a few boxes), or programs it judges unethical, like Hotspot Shield (VPN) and the YouTube Downloader. Call them unethical if you like, but they are still legitimate programs. By removing Hotspot Shield, AdwCleaner messes up the Internet connection every time. Restoring the items from Hotspot Shield contained in the Quarantine manager will possibly give you back your Internet connection. But, you can try the fixes from quietman7 and Gmer99 first, if you wish.

Edited by Phantom010, 19 January 2015 - 10:13 AM.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#12 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

You welcome compnoob!!! :clapping:  :thumbup2:

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH I FINALLY MANAGED TO GET IT TO WORK!! :bananas: by uninstalling hotspot shield from my drivers. (following this link http://hotspotshieldproblemfix.blogspot.sg/ as provided in Bleepin' Janitor's reply) I think the Anchorfree program also comes from Hotspot Shield. Actually is Hotspot Shield a worthwhile program to install on the computer because it caused all this trouble...

You're welcome. :thumbup2:

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

This thread rocks, all of the good stuff to fix networking.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

We try.