Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Windows Update (Defender definitions) question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:41 AM

Hi All,
Today I did a clean installation of Windows 8 and went straight to Windows Update to download all the updates. In total there were 116 to download, 115 for windows and 1 for Windows Defender. In windows Update history afterwards all were listed as succeeeded (installed correctly) except the Windows Defender definition which was listed as failed. The error code details shown for it was 80070666..but there was no information on what the code meant. The update was Windows Defender KB2267602 1.191.2648.0.
To configure all the above updates obviously required a restart. After the restart Windows made no attempt to redownload the problematic Windows Defender Update. But a newer version KB2267602 1.191.2651.0. was listed along with 4 more Windows Updates so those were all downloaded and installed correctly including the newer Windows Defender definition. In Windows Update history all listed as succeeded. I checked the history again and the problematic Defender Update listed above (Windows Defender KB2267602 1.191.2648.0.) was still there showing as failed. Since then another 2 Window Defender definitions KB2267602 1.191.2655.0 and KB2267602 1.191.2687.0 have both been download and successfully installed.

1.Has anybody any idea what might have happened here? Has the failed Windows Defender definition KB2267602 1.191.2648.0 been installed or not?
2.Would an SFC Scannow have shown errors if there was a problem? I ran SFC Scannow and it came up fine..no errors.

P.S Im sorry if the above explanation was a bit long winded!! I just wanted to try explain what happened correctly lol

Thanks, Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

Not sure what happend, but the solution for that problem is: reboot your system and it will work.

KB2267602 does still not install? Maybe does this post from 2012 give you some usefull information?

#3 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

I did reboot the system immediately after I'd downloaded and installed the 116 Windows Updates. The Windows Defender definition update was still showing in history as failed. Windows Update then seemed to just ignore it and installed the newer definitions as if the problematic one that failed had already been installed..Im very confused lol
(the post from 2012 talks about using CCleaner etc..Ive never used anything like that)

#4 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:07 AM

Well, there isn't any fix for it (what I can find, sorry).

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

How to update Windows Defender manually in Windows 8
Force an Update or Manually download the latest updates for Windows Defender in Windows 8
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users