Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC turns on but no signal to monitor

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dizzog

dizzog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I posted on these forums a few months ago about an issue with my pre-built PC and although the issue was resolved, I never found out what was wrong.  Long story short, I turned on my PC from sleep mode one day and there was no signal to the monitor or anything.  When I forced restarted, there was still no signal nor any beep code that I could tell despite all the fans and system still turning on.  The problem was 'solved' when I disconnected everything and then reconnected all the parts.

The computer is an HP Envy h8 PC Series, Model No. H8-1419 running Windows 8/8.1.

Unfortunately, just the other week it happened again.  I left my computer on sleep mode on Sunday night (1/11/2016), then I went and turned it on Monday morning and there was no signal.  Thinking it might have been a hard drive issue like last time's suggestions, I disconnected it and booted but still got no signal, not even a beep.  I also verified again that the monitor and HDMI cable were both working on another laptop.  I then tried removing all of my 4 ram sticks (still leaving in only my PSU, GPU, and CPU) and booted and got no signal again except for some long drawn out beeps, which I think may have been a boot code.  The funny thing was, when I put all the RAM sticks back in, everything booted up fine.

Getting agitated, I scoured the internet and apparently a no display issue is usually traced back to faulty RAM sticks.  I then proceeded to run the windows memory diagnostics software, which came up clean.  Going further, I downloaded and installed Memtest86 (not 86+) and tested each RAM stick individually in the first slot, then all 4 at once (each scan took about 4 passes and 2-3 hours I think) and no errors were reported. 

At this point, I am stumped and I really want to resolve this issue since I don't want to have to reseat all of my components every time my computer doesn't boot.  The only things left I can think of is that there's something wrong with either the ram slots on the mobo or the sticks themselves that aren't picked up with memtest, but I don't know what else I can do to check those.  Or could it be the PSU/mobo even?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out what the heck is going on?  :wacko:

Thanks in advance!

Edit: The eventviewer also made an entry when I first booted up again on the 16th that there was an unexpected shutdown on 1/10/2015, which might be relevant?

Edited by dizzog, 19 January 2015 - 12:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users