Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notification Area Icons Missing at Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kclif

kclif

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

Hello. I was needing some help, please. 

My notification icons that do not appear at startup. Icon behavior for these icons that are missing is set to "show icons and notifications."  If I attempt to change icon behavior on a missing icon to  "Show icons and notifications", I receive the following message: "This notification icon is not currently active. It will be shown next time it becomes active." Although my system (volume, network, battery) icons are not effected by this, I still have some that are (drop box, etc..) Any solutions to this issue?

Thank you,
Kelsie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:15 AM

Here are some detailed instructions, that I think will help you.

How To Fix Notification Area Icons Missing

1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
3. Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify.
4. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
5. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
6. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
7. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
8. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
9. Then if the volume bar isn't there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.

10. Reboot your machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users