Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot into Vista due to missing SYS file

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pensiveone

pensiveone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hello folks.  I'm hoping someone can help me out of this dilemma.  Recently I was trying to create a backup of my hard drive which is running Windows Vista Ultimate on an AMD duo pentium.  I installed the software Macruim Reflect to do this.  However part way through the backup the software ran into an error and got stuck.  I shut down the computer and when I came back I was unable to boot back into the system.  I kept getting an error message from windows telling me that pssnap.sys was missing or corrupt.  I cannot boot into safe mode either.  I attempted to have Windows Vista do a repair but it failed unfortunately. I tried the Windows Vista automated startup repair application but it failed.  I also tried to go through the command prompt and use bootrec but that did nothing either.  I tried to find a copy of pssnap.sys online but no source for this file exist.  I even tried finding help through Macrium's web page but help is only available to registered (paid) users.  I took the drive out and ran different tests on it on another computer but all tests show the drive is fine and free of viruses.  I can also access all the drive material saved on it this way.  I just can't get the system to boot due to that corrupted file.  I really do not want to reinstall everything all over again, so I am hoping someone can help me out with this.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by pensiveone, 18 January 2015 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Tap F8 at boot and select Last Known good configuration. pssnap.sys is a Macrium driver.

What is the make and model of the computer? For HP you can get to System Restore by tapping F11 at startup and selecting advanced options. Pick a date before the problem started.

Does F8 give the option to repair computer in Vista? Go throught the steps and select System Restore. I can't remember if Vista gives you the option to do a System Restore using F8 at boot like Windows 7 does.

#3 PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

Have you tried searching your hard drive for the file pssnap.sys and deleting it? It might not be missing, it might be corrupt. So to stop it from being loaded, go find it on your drive (possibly in C:/Windows/system32/drivers, or other locations just do a full drive search) and when you find it, rename it to "pssnap.sys_OLD"

See what happens then?

#4 pensiveone

pensiveone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Have you tried searching your hard drive for the file pssnap.sys and deleting it? It might not be missing, it might be corrupt. So to stop it from being loaded, go find it on your drive (possibly in C:/Windows/system32/drivers, or other locations just do a full drive search) and when you find it, rename it to "pssnap.sys_OLD"

See what happens then?

I found the file and did this.  The computer goes into a loop where it begins to boot, then reboots itself and keeps going in a loop.

#5 pensiveone

pensiveone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Tap F8 at boot and select Last Known good configuration. pssnap.sys is a Macrium driver.

What is the make and model of the computer? For HP you can get to System Restore by tapping F11 at startup and selecting advanced options. Pick a date before the problem started.

Does F8 give the option to repair computer in Vista? Go throught the steps and select System Restore. I can't remember if Vista gives you the option to do a System Restore using F8 at boot like Windows 7 does.

The last good configuration will not work.  It simply goes back to the same screen telling me to pick a booting option. I'm using an intel duo Pentium MB.  Not a name brand computer.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

Can you copy pssnap.sys from another computer to your Vista computer?

#7 pensiveone

pensiveone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

Can you copy pssnap.sys from another computer to your Vista computer?

If I could find it then I would.  Cannot find a copy of it anywhere on the net.  I tried installing the same software on another computer but it did not create that file.  I think it was created when the backup started.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

It should be in your drivers subfolder in System32. If not, I have one but I can't be sure if it is your version or not. I can attach it if you want it.

Did you delete the file or just rename it?

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 January 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#9 pensiveone

pensiveone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

It should be in your drivers subfolder in System32. If not, I have one but I can't be sure if it is your version or not. I can attach it if you want it.

Did you delete the file or just rename it?

Yes, that is where the file should be.  I actually renamed the file.  If you would attach it that would be great, as it could not make things any worse!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

Okay, give me a bit. I need to boot the other computer.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 January 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#11 pensiveone

pensiveone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Okay, give me a bit. I need to boot the other computer.

OMG that did it!  I have been trying to get back in for a week now to no avail.  Putting the copy you gave me got it up and running again.  Thank you so much!  :hysterical:

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

Nice! Glad you got Vista back. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users