Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell inspiron 519 amber lights

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 lp1503

lp1503

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hello I`m Larry. i have a dell inspiron 519 desktop it will not boot up all fans are running hard drive is running but i have a black monitor screen no cursor not anything but black screen i have a amber light on power button and on the motherboard how can i fix this.
Thank You Have A Good Day Larry

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 January 2015 - 10:21 PM.
moved from Introductions to Internal Hardware as this may be a possible internal hardware problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

Hi Larry- i hate to be the bearer of bad news,but from what you have described,your motherboard has died. If it would even show the boot screen it might be possible to repair, but in this case,I'm afraid you are going to have to start shopping for another machine-if anyone else on here has a different opinion,I would like to hear it. Thanks -Paul

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

It is a bit early to call it a busted motherboard, It could be a dead monitor, or a dead GPU, or something simple.

Others may suggest other things for you to try.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

Hi Larry :welcome: To BC.

Can you please tell us what you have tried so far?

1 Have you checked all the connections?

2 Is the monitor working? Have you tested that?

3 Is the pc fitted with a Video card? It may just need re seating.

The more details you can give us the better we may be able to help you.

Some problems are more complicated than others and require additional work to isolate the issue. So, try not to overwhelm the user with possible conflicting information during the troubleshooting process. Wait for the user to report back that step 1 is done and the result before suggesting anything new.

Edited by NickAu, 18 January 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#5 lp1503

lp1503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

this is Larry i check all connections i check the monitor and plug in another dell monitor same thing and i re seated the card and re seated memory cards check power supply. i here it starting up but no beeps

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

From your 519 users guide

Amber light — Blinking amber indicates a problem with the system board. A solid amber light when the system does not boot indicates that the system board
cannot start initialization. This could be an issue with the system board or power supply (see "Power Problems" onpage 35)

You should have a green light on the back of the PSU.

Green — indicates that the power supply is receiving power. Off — indicates that the power supply is not receiving power or the power supply is not working.
If you have a green light on the PSU you can try powercycling the computer. Remove the power cord. Open the case and remove the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery. Replace the power cord. See if the computer boots. If it does, set the BIOS back to default.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 January 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#7 lp1503

lp1503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

Larry

i have a green light on the PSU i done all the above still have a amber light on motherboard and solid amber light power button Thank You Larry

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

Remove the power cord, open the case. Look for the front panel wire connections to the motherboard. Make a note of their location. Remove and reattach the front panel wires at the motherboard. Attach the power cord and see if the computer boots.

It's possible you have a green light on the PSU and it still be bad. It's not perfect but if you have a multimeter you can check the PSU.

#9 lp1503

lp1503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

Larry

my PSU test good i`ve done all the test on the computer nothing same thing Thank You Larry

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

Do you get a menu screen when you tap F12 at boot?

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:59 PM

Larry, according to Dell,your computer was manufactured in mid 2008, which means it is pretty old. If you have followed all the steps mentioned above,and still get nothing but a black screen,the system board has failed. One thing you might try, look at the capacitors on the motherboard and see if they are blown outward,normally they should be folded inward, like you would fold paper or foil on top of a cylindrical object. If they are in the outward position, it means that one or more of the capacitors are blown, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to fix it if that is the case-Paul

Edited by paul88ks, 20 January 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#12 lp1503

lp1503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

Larry

i`m going to replace the motherboard it`s windows vista it`s a AMD Broad.i take it i will have to reinstall windows is that right. i have a 300W psu do i need to upgrade psu with a 400w or more. is there any thing more i should replace.

Thank You Larry 

#13 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

Larry - since it is a Dell Computer,you will have to order a new mobo from them. Their cases are proprietary,meaning that only a Dell Motherboard will fit in the mounting holes in the case. They may or may not make them anymore and if they do,they will be expensive- and Yes you will have to reinstall everthing unless the new mobo is identical to the old one- let me look some things up and get back to you- also I would upgrade the power supply as well

#14 lp1503

lp1503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Larry

i found a motherboard numbers on motherboard is DRS780MO1 ZI0222 the same numbers as on the old board.if you something i will at them to what size PSU would you buy.

Thank You Larry 

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users