Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steam has a Linux bug that (erases) all your personal files

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

A bug on the Steam version for Linux has a complication with the rm (remove command) on the BASH (Born Again Shell) that will remove everything from your root directory on.
On Valves GitHub Steam for Linux page there are complaints about serious bug that has the potential to wipe out every single personal file on your Linux PC. It will also wipe out documents on USB connected drives, ouch.
The main problem if you are running Steam on Linux is to be careful of their program. It would be wise, not to connect to any local external hard drives while youre running Steam. Users complaining of this bug appear to have moved their .steam or ~/.local/share/steam directories, or invoked Steams Bash script with the reset option enabled.

UPDATE: Valve gave us the following statement: So far we have had a handful of users report this issue, after they manually moved their Steam install. We have not been able to reproduce the reported issue, but we are adding some additional checks to ensure this is not possible while we continue to investigate. If anyone else has experienced this or has more information, they should email linux@valvesoftware.com.

The bug appears to be caused by a line in the Steam.sh Bash script:

rm -rf $STEAMROOT/*.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/01/steam-linux-bug-steamrolls-erases-personal-files-linux-pc.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

I use Steam on Windows :whistle:

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

I don't use Steam, but this kind of thing is exactly why I should take the time to learn more about permissions, and then set custom file permissions on all my data.

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

The bug appears to be caused by a line in the Steam.sh Bash script:

rm -rf $STEAMROOT/*.

who was the genius that put that command in?

well, at least it is only the stuff in the steam directory.

Edited by bmike1, 18 January 2015 - 07:00 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

At least it is only the stuff in the steam directory.

Unfortunately this does NOT appear to be the case. According to the report quoted by Nick and another I have seen it is capable of deleting personal files on all connected read/write media.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

rm -rf $STEAMROOT/*.

I just found out what is happening:

<from my local users group>

You can see the value of any variable just by typing:

echo $STEAMROOT

It'll probably be something like /home/user/.steam
But, if you've installed your games in multiple locations, then it would come back empty (because it would be an array or a list of directories), and thus expand to nothing leaving:

rm -rf /*

Which means wipe your whole OS (or at least what you have the permission to delete).

Edited by bmike1, 18 January 2015 - 08:26 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,688 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

who was the genius that put that command in?

I could not have said it better.

It's lazy and sloppy programming.

Edited by NickAu, 18 January 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

'idiot' may have been a better word to use in place of 'genius'.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:14 AM

They best get this issue fixed & soon, as there has been much talk over the release of a Linux based Steam OS this year, though no official date has been set. 

Though I'm not a gamer, am looking forward to the release, along with many other Linux enthusiasts. However, I'd rather it be done the right way & not rushed. 

Finally, this adds to the countless reasons why we all should be performing not only data backups, but also full disk images, which bails us out of these incidents. Items of prime importance (irreplaceable data) shouldn't be stored on the OS, nor the computer these were created on, rather two or three copies on other media. 

Having a backup plan is just as important on a Linux OS as any other. Enough said. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,688 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:59 AM

This is a bug in the Steam for Linux code, Steam operating system would not be affected by this.

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:08 AM

@NickAu

Isn't SteamOS just a modified Debian with the same Steam software pre-installed?

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,878 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:10 AM

That's good to hear, Nick. :thumbup2:

This is a bug in the Steam for Linux code, Steam operating system would not be affected by this.

Though any of these users who were affected could have recovered all in a few minutes to an hour by the creation of regular disk images. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 19 January 2015 - 02:27 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,688 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:16 AM

SteamOS is a Debian Linux kernel-based operating system in development by Valve Corporation designed to be the primary operating system for the Steam Machine game consoles.[2] It was initially released on December 13, 2013, alongside the start of end-user beta testing of Steam Machines.

SteamOS is designed primarily for playing video games. Users will be able to stream games from their Windows or Mac computers to one running SteamOS, and it will incorporate the same family sharing and restrictions as Steam on the desktop.[3] Valve claims that it has "achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing" through SteamOS.[4] The operating system is open source, allowing anyone to build on or adapt the source code.[5][6]

Since SteamOS is designed for playing games, it does not have many built-in functions beyond web browsing and playing games; for example, there is no file manager or image viewer installed by default. Users can, however, access the available GNOME desktop environment and perform tasks like installing other software.[7] Though the OS does not, in its current form, support streaming services, Valve is in talks with streaming companies such as Spotify and Netflix to bring their features to SteamOS.[8][9] The OS natively supports Nvidia, Intel, and AMD graphics processors.[10][11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SteamOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users