Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best programming language to learn...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

Evening all! 

I have been studying/working in IT for some years, but programming is something that has never really interested me, I am starting to realize that it is probably the way forward, they are trying to start kids learning it at such a young age etc, I should probably start doing something about it myself!! 

I am looking to learn a programming language that is, sort of the most "widley used" and that would be the most benificial to learn, my issue is that it is hard to keep my concentration for long periods of time, but I will need to give it a go!!

I am not really interested in learning PHP, HTML, CSS etc, but other programming languages, I am up for, things for application development or something where i can actually see things happen! :)

Any advice in regards to the best way of learning, software, what I will need etc would also be greatly appreciated when you offer your programming suggestion.

Thanks very much! :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

Personally i would be learning VBS/VBA and batch file scripting first because as you said you have been working in IT for some time.

These 3 come in handy many times of the day and will work with all Windows versions currently being used (XP > 8.1 etc) and office versions.

Then i would move to something more advanced for creating specific software in VB.NET or C#.

Find a use and then create it.

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

Thats for the advice, anyone else have anything to contribute, just so i have a few different potential routes :) 

#4 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

AutoIt FTW,

Tutorial

#5 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

Personally i would be learning VBS/VBA and batch file scripting first because as you said you have been working in IT for some time.
These 3 come in handy many times of the day and will work with all Windows versions currently being used (XP > 8.1 etc) and office versions.

Then i would move to something more advanced for creating specific software in VB.NET or C#.
Find a use and then create it.

I second that. VBS/VBA, VB.NET then C#.
You never know when you might have to fix a line of code in an ms office macro or fix VB script used for applications that run over a network from a domain controller when you're out in the fieldLearning it now will save you headaches later. Plus it will get you ready for building windows form applications, etc in visual studio.

#6 Jingjue

Jingjue

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:04 AM

just my two cents,

I personally think VBA is a good language to learn, you get to manipulate excel spreadsheets easily too. streaming financial data into spreadsheets to do analysis real time, to sending e-mail as notification if it hits a certain price. 

python is a good scripting language to learn too.

if you are unsure, you can take a look at https://www.bento.io/

They have alot of rescources there and break them down into different categories for you to choose. Hope you can find one that suits your liking

#7 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:16 AM

I don't think there is a "best" language to learn; it depends on what you want to achieve.

If you're looking to do something on the Web, then you'll need to have an understanding of HTML and possibly CSS before you attempt scripting languages such as PHP.

HTML, CSS and JavaScript is a good combination.

Databases.  You'll need to gain an understanding of some flavour of SQL; MySQL is a good choice here, and works well with PHP.

But you said you're not interested in these sort of languages... however, do reconsider as they allow you to see things happen very quickly.

If you're wanting to develop applications, then C#, C++ or possibly even bog standard C might well do you.

Or you can go for VBA as others have recommended.

Languages such as VBA tend to allow you to develop applications quicker than languages such as C.

The sky is the limit really, but the real question is, "What is the best language to learn for my intended application?" as opposed to "What is the best language to learn?"

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#8 Taikoh

Taikoh

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

I definitely agree with Jingjue in that Python is an excellent language if you're just starting out. If you just want to see things happen and want to learn how code works or what code looks like, Python certainly accomplishes that goal. A lot of other languages accomplish this as well, but IMHO, Python teaches one rudimentary principle that all programmers should adhere to and it teaches it well: Indenting your code. Even knowing Python and knowing its versatility, I would probably opt for something like C for more typical usage--but that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

As most others in this thread have said, you'll just have to try different languages and see what you like best. I know some people that swear by Dennis Ritchie that C is the best language to have ever come into existence, while some others will literally throw a punch at you for even insulting Java. There's no real way to suggest any particular language for you to get into programming, so I'll just list some vague scenarios to get you interested in each of them:

Like databases? Learn PHP.

Want to learn the Win32 API? Learn C# or Visual C++.

Like trying different things? Learn Python.

Love errors? Learn VB.

Use Excel AND love errors? Learn VBA.

Like skeletons? Learn HTML.

Don't like skeletons? Learn CSS.

Want portability? Learn Java.

Want to be confused with names? Learn Javascript.

Just stepped out of a time machine? Learn BASIC.

Like headaches? Learn C.

Attracted to punch cards? Learn Fortran.

Enjoy self-harm? Learn x86 Assembly.

Have fun Googling those to see what I mean about each one.  :wink:

#9 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:57 AM

You can even learn how to shoot yourself in the foot in any programming language.

Joking aside, one slight correction to the above:

Like databases? Learn SQL

PHP is a server-side scripting language, and it interfaces nicely to MySQL.

OK, so my links got deleted when I pressed "More reply options" so let's inline them this way:

PHP - http://php.net/

MySQL - http://www.mysql.com/

Don't just learn SQL on its own - if you learn PHP then you can build Web pages using the two together.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#10 Taikoh

Taikoh

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

Oh man, I lost it when I got to the "DOS" part. That was hilarious!  :lmao:

#11 kram7750

kram7750

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

Personally, I recommend you learn C/C++ and some Assembly. After a few years experience with these 3 languages, you could start developing Kernel Mode drivers to protect processes or detect rootkits on the sytsem (security tools).

However, before proceeding to learn C/C++ or Assembly, I recommend learning a higher level language such as: C#/VB.NET. This would help improve your computer science understanding before trying to tackle more powerful and controlling languages.

Cheers.

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:46 PM

Would anyone wish to give their advisory comments about minGW or CodeBlocks or Eclipse?

#13 jerabina

jerabina

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

Would anyone wish to give their advisory comments about minGW or CodeBlocks or Eclipse?

Hi!

I use Eclipse because it's the best development environment for me.

Eclipse is fast, has good debug and good user interface.

Jerabina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users