Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 is running slow.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tancheeping

tancheeping

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 laptop shipped with Windows 8.0 but upgraded to Windows 8.1 during its time of release. 

This machine use an Intel core-i5 3210-M, 4 GB RAM, and a 1TB 5400rpm hardisk. 

I'm have been using this laptop for nearing 2 years, all is considered good but until recently (in this few months), my laptop is taking slightly a bit longer time to boot up and also shutdown. Little bit much longer time before I can access files/program after start screen is loaded. 

I do not know what caused this slight delay during boot up, shutdown, and opening of program and accessing of files. The slow of my laptop is not to a critical level but it is clearly that it's not as fast as before. 

Is that anything I could about it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hi tancheeping :)

It looks like no one assisted you with your issue yet, so allow me to jump in and give you a hand with that issue alright? :) It's normal that after a certain time, a system becomes less responsive, depending on how it was managed. Useless programs are installed, some aren't updated, temp files and folders are being accumulated, the HDD needs to be defragged, etc. Hence I'll walk you through a standard clean-up procedure, and after we'll see if it improved your system performance, okay? Let's start with the programs.
  • Download MiniToolBox from BleepingComputer.com (linking the website as it have a lot of useful tutorials, programs, etc. to see);
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the "Go" button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log in your next reply and post it;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

Your laptop is slow because of the junk files and may be your hard drive is full. So, use some good cleaners to clean the laptop such as:

CCleaner

Clean my PC

Ninja TuneUp

#4 Wodim

Wodim

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

You should try to find out if the issue is related to a squeeze in resources or data not processing properly by examining your resources while trying to do things that would usually cause a delay.

Cleaning and defragmenting is usually more of a help than hurt, and therefore is useful to try. But, sometimes these tactics can be a waste of time depending on the problem.

Sometimes this can be a registry issue, so running a registry cleaner may yeild results as well. BUT, in any instance where you may run a registry cleaner you will want to create the registry backup file that almost all registry cleaners offer, this way if there are any errors you will be able to restore the registry back to its original state.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

You should try to find out if the issue is related to a squeeze in resources or data not processing properly by examining your resources while trying to do things that would usually cause a delay.

Cleaning and defragmenting is usually more of a help than hurt, and therefore is useful to try. But, sometimes these tactics can be a waste of time depending on the problem.

Sometimes this can be a registry issue, so running a registry cleaner may yeild results as well. BUT, in any instance where you may run a registry cleaner you will want to create the registry backup file that almost all registry cleaners offer, this way if there are any errors you will be able to restore the registry back to its original state.

Registry Cleaners are totally useless, can be harmful and won't solve any problems you have on your system: crashes, slowness, BSODs, malware, etc. You should never, ever use a Registry Cleaner, nor recommend one. Refer to Animal's post here to know why Registry Cleaners aren't recommended and aren't supported by BleepingComputer. tancheeping, please avoid using a Registry Cleaner and ignore that suggestion. Thank you.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users