Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Caffeine Addicts Out There?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Help!!! My name is rlight and I'm a caffeineoholic. :thumbsup:

Two days ago I decided it was time to quit drinking coffee and cola drinks cold turkey.
I have been hooked on caffeine for years, but haven't had the fortitude to give it up until now.

I've had a few serious headaches and am pretty much a space cadet at work for the last two days.

Has any of you gone through caffeine withdrawals? What can I expect? How long did the withdrawals last?

What benefits have you experienced by being off caffeine for a extended period of time?

Are there any products out there that taste like coffee, but with no caffeine? Even decaf coffee has some caffeine in it.

Thanks, :flowers:
rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_cybermel_*

Guest_cybermel_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

your symptoms are gonna last about a week or so, but can be shortened by drinking lots and lots of water. I'vve never made it very long without ANY caffiene, but am now down to one cup a day. Good luck!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

I dont like cofee...much. Maybe a vanila or choc latee(correct spelling?)

FACT
Apples wake you up more in the morning than cafeine.

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

Code Red Mountain Dew. I always drink at least one can a day. :thumbsup: Caffine good.... :flowers: Yes, I do get headaches if I don't drink my can a day, but I can get off of it after a day. But I like the taste of Code Red, and I always come back. But I know someone who drinks four cans of Diet Pepsi a day! A DAY!!!!! :trumpet: Talk about caffine addiction!!!

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

I dont like cofee...much. Maybe a vanila or choc latee(correct spelling?)

Chocolate also contains caffeine. :thumbsup:

I drink 2 - 4 16oz. cups of coffee in the morning.
Sometimes a couple in the afternoon.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:10 AM

I'm a coke drinker.... but thats all the caffiene I get.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:57 AM

There is a good article from John Hopkins Medicine, here is an excerpt that should answer your question regarding symptoms and duration.

The researchers identified five clusters of common withdrawal symptoms: headache; fatigue or drowsiness; dysphoric mood including depression and irritability; difficulty concentrating; and flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and muscle pain or stiffness. In experimental studies, 50 percent of people experienced headache and 13 percent had clinically significant distress or functional impairment -- for example, severe headache and other symptoms incompatible with working. Typically, onset of symptoms occurred 12 to 24 hours after stopping caffeine, with peak intensity between one and two days, and for a duration of two to nine days. In general, the incidence or severity of symptoms increased with increases in daily dose, but abstinence from doses as low as 100 milligrams per day, or about one small cup of coffee, also produced symptoms.

The rest of the article can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

I drink 3-5 cans of dew (mountain dew) a day....

If i don't get at least 1 dew a day, i definately get some problems. Headaches, sluggishness, and sometimes even nausia (sp?!). I need at least 2 to feel normal.

Caffeine is DEFINATELY a powerful drug...

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

well lets see...(it varies alot) normally 1/2 to full pot coffee in morning
maybe a couple Cokes/MDs in the afternoon and at night
I like expresso and lattes(just refuse to pay 4bucks for them)
think I got hosed last time as I ordered a latte
with two extra shots and put about 4- 5 packets of "white death" in it
then 10-15 min later friend got one and didn't like it (same as mine)
so I drank his as well (both were the big ones)
and took a nap 45 minutes later.(freaked out his sister alittle)
might have been F :thumbsup: decaf (was at a Joe Muggs)
but "they" said it wasn't when I inquired about it :flowers:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

Every morning this is me ----> Posted Image

Except that I am not yellow or bald! :thumbsup:

I don't just drink coffee for the caffeine. I loooove the taste and smell!
Always have. Even when I was a little kid. (Smell that is) My Mom didn't let me drink it back then. :cool:
Oh add diet cola's, diet dew (all flavors) and of course my fav. Diet Dr. Pepper!! :flowers:

OMG :inlove: How could I forget, Bailey's and coffee! :trumpet:

Edited by Scarlett, 23 June 2006 - 01:41 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

The real question is, why are you trying to quit drinking coffee and caffinated beverages??

Caffine is not bad for you! In moderation caffine actually has several positive effects on the human body... In fact, I remember a few years back, when I was quite heavily into body building, I read in a book on nutrition that said a cup of coffee before a workout can help make workouts more productive and will increase bloodflow to muscles during periods of heavy exertion... This isn't some silly rumor either, this is advice from the same guy that trained Lou Ferigno (sp) and Arnold Shwartsennegar (sp again, I know)!!

There have been other recent studies that show that caffine can help protect your liver from the damaging effects of alcohol... Others still that show that a moderate amount of caffine in the bloodstream helps the brain stay focused throughout the entire day. And finally, one study that I read recently (I read a lot) that showed that people who consume 3 or more cups of coffee a day, because of the caffine, have a reduced risk of heart attack!

Coffee shouldn't be attacked at all... Besides the high caffine content (which is good for you in many ways) it also contains antioxidents that your body needs to help prevent cancer and rebuild itself. Chocolate too has these antioxidents and also contains fats that reduce the amount of bad cholesterol in your system.

So drink coffee and eat chocolate.... It's actually good for you! Don't trust everything you read... Consider the source and how old the information is... A long time ago it was thought that chocolate and coffee were bad for you, but recent studies show otherwise. Anyone who says these things are bad for you are just dead wrong.

p.s. A new study also says that the fat in chocolate helps to regulate body weight and won't cause you to gain weight but rather, help to keep you thin... I know it sounds crazy, but consider this: The reason people get fat from eathing too much chocolate is because there are a lot of calories in chocolate... it's not the fat content, it's the fact that you're taking in more calories than you're burning throughout the course of the day... Doesn't matter if it's chocolate or strawberries... If you eat too much of either you're going to get bigger. It's not the food people are eating... it's how much of it they're eating.

BTW: Starbucks bold coffee with cream and sugar every day... Helps get me going!

Edited by Modulus, 23 June 2006 - 02:51 PM.

I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:00 AM

I'm definately not trying to stop, but i think a lot of people have a problem with knowing that they're addicted to something, and know that they have a dependence.

There's also the money aspect. On more than one occassion, i've had to find spare change just to pay for a 20oz bottle. Granted that doesn't happen often, but when i run out of cans, there not much i can do....

#13 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

lol true true... Dependency of any kind can be seen as bad.

God knows I can't go a day without a Starbucks... :thumbsup:
I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hi my name is Mike.

Hi Mike!

I'm a caffineaholic. I've been addicted to caffine since the age of 5, when my mom gave me my first coke.

Yea I need something caffeine a day. Whether it be a cappuccino or a pop. I just need something....

I prefer cappuccino when I can because for some reason it seems to quench my thirst for a while. I don't get thirty from it.

But anyways, my name is Mike...

Edited by yano, 24 June 2006 - 09:24 PM.

#15 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

i drink coffee too much! i am also down to 1 a day. it took a while, but i took the lots of water advice and it really helped thanxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users