Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't ping network devices from Desktop but can from Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Flash4Ever

Flash4Ever

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

Hi there,

I've set up a security system for a client and when I go check it out on his desktop pc, I cannot ping any of the static IP's I've assigned it.  However I can see all the IP's on my laptop and am able to log in to each one's interface.  Here's what I have set up.

- I set up a bridge inside his barn that has the IP of 10.1.1.1 (this can't be changed, I've tried)

- I changed the IP of the modem (Windstream Sagemcom) to 10.1.1.4

- I set up a DLink Router to be an Access Point and set a static IP of 10.1.1.6

- I set the DVR of the Security System to 10.1.1.16

The Access Point has the bridge and the DVR connected to it on LAN ports.  White I was in the barn I could connect to each IP on my laptop and view their interface.  I also was able to do this from the house on my laptop as well.  However when I tried on the Desktop I could not log in and could not ping any site.  I did not try to turn the wireless off on my laptop and connect an ethernet cable to it to see if it works.  For the record I have Macbook Pro and the desktop is Windows 7.

I've thought about this but can't really think what could be causing this.  Is it's a setting on the Access Point or Bridge that I missed?  Basically, what can I check on these devices to get the desktop to see all the networked devices?  I'm going back on Monday to look at this again but any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

Is the desktop in the barn? Is it on the same network? 10.1.1.x provided the mask is 255.255.255.0 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Flash4Ever

Flash4Ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

No the desktop is in the house.  I don't think the PC has a static IP, which may be the problem.  Subnet is 255.255.255.0 like everything else.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

is the PC on the same network? ipconfig will show ya that

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Flash4Ever

Flash4Ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

I'll have to check that tomorrow.  After I changed the IP Address on the modem (it was originally 192.168.254.254) to 192.168.1.4, I just assumed that it assigned the PC a DHCP address on the network.  So that could very well be the issue.  I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Edited by Flash4Ever, 18 January 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:41 AM

You may need to just restart the desktop to pull and new IP.  If that doesn't work you may need to set a static IP address or configure a device on the network to handle DHCP.

#7 Flash4Ever

Flash4Ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Okay, back on this, still no luck.  This is what I've tried so far: (I have used IE and Chrome)

- Rebooted the PC, checked the static IP's and "page cannot be displayed"

- Statically assigned the PC to 192.168.1.5 and rebooted.  "page cannot be displayed"

- Plugged in the ethernet cable from the PC to my Macbook and I can connect to everything fine.

As far as as configuring a device for DHCP, the DSL router does have DHCP enabled and shows my Macbook and the Windows 7 PC as having DHCP leases but nothing else.  So how am I able to see everything from my Macbook but not the Desktop?  Also, should the DLink Access Point have DHCP enabled as well?

As far as being on a different network, the PC is showing a network 7 and nothing else is on there, so I'm thinking that might be the problem.  I'm working on correcting that at the moment but if there's a simple way to do that please let me know.

Thanks,

Edited by Flash4Ever, 19 January 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

The access point should have a static ip assignment but should not be doing dhcp or nat.  It should be configured as a pass through devices so dhcp flows from the main router through it to any attached devices.

No mention of the AP showing up in the router as an attached device as it should .

If the AP can't be changed from 10.1.1.x then your dsl router subnet should be in the same ip range as well as the dhcp scope being something like .200 to .254

Edited by Wand3r3r, 19 January 2015 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users