Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create a separate F: partition to hold my data

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thoughtful Skeptic

Thoughtful Skeptic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

In the past, it seemed sensible to create a separate F: partition to hold my data away from the operating system on the C: partition. The advantage was that malware is less likely to cross into the data partition. Also it becomes possible to backup and restore each partition separately. A good solution to a malware incident might be simply to restore a previous version of the operating system without touching the data partition.

I have redirected the following folders to the F: drive: desktop, documents, downloads, music, pictures, videos.

This has worked reasonably well except that some software installer programs refuse to work from the F: partition and need to be run from the C: partition.

Times have changed over the last few years and I am wondering if this is still worth the trouble. Perhaps it would be easier to keep successive backups of the entire hard drive and, when necessary, restore everything at one time.

I would welcome any thoughts on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:13 AM

I still use 3 partitions: One for Windows and programs, one for data files, one for my tools.

Personally, I think the choice is up to you though - how you want to arrange your files and so on.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

First, the letter "f" is random - you can label the additional partitions ay way you like. Second, most installers are written to suggest the install on c: drive. However, in almost every instance you can change that to any drive & folder you like during the installation process.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

When I had a desktop computer I stored my data on its own drive. Currently I use a laptop, and my data resides on its
own partition of the same drive. I don't redirect Windows folders there, I just create my own and manually choose
to save things to that location. I find keeping my data and OS seperate is very helpful when doing OS partition restores;
less data to restore = faster restore times. This is especially helpful when I do sector-based backup-and-restores rather
than file-based ones. I also run disk-protection software so keeping my data on a seperate partition means I don't have
to setup any excludes.

I am wondering if this is still worth the trouble

For some people there may not be much reason to bother seperating their data from their OS, but for me it's a life-saver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users