Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My hard drive stopped being recognized on everything.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wagzy

Wagzy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:25 AM

Hey, my hard drive recently stopped being recognized on any computer, t.v. etc. 

I had it plugged into someone else computer to view files and it just stopped working. I've tried all the basic things like assigning a letter to it but it does not show up anywhere. The hard drive does run as it lights up and I can hear it running, but it won't get recognized. I've tried opening it in safe mode but still does not show up. I've tried a different cable, may different PC's and USB port and nothing. So now I think it may be a virus.

Is there any way to restore the hard drive? I'm not overly concerned about the files, I'm concerned as it is only 2 months old and cost me $100+. I've tried google'ing but I havn't found anything, all I find is the assign a letter solution.

Thanks for any help you might have, It will be appreciated.

Edited by Wagzy, 18 January 2015 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:00 AM

It should still be under warranty- take it back and get a new one- what brand of drive is it?

#3 Wagzy

Wagzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:27 AM

It should still be under warranty- take it back and get a new one- what brand of drive is it?

I bought it from the office works Ebay store, its a "Toshiba Hard Drive 1TB Canvio Simple External Hard Drive".

I'm not sure if I've still got the receipt and original box.

Edited by Wagzy, 18 January 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

If you bought it off EBAY you should have the receipt online in your account. I would RMA the drive to the seller if it is only 2 months old. Contact the store through EBay. The store may ask you to contact Toshiba first.

When attached to the computer, is the drive detected in Disk Managment? If it does not have a letter assigned to it, it will not show up in Computer.

#5 Wagzy

Wagzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

If you bought it off EBAY you should have the receipt online in your account. I would RMA the drive to the seller if it is only 2 months old. Contact the store through EBay. The store may ask you to contact Toshiba first.

When attached to the computer, is the drive detected in Disk Managment? If it does not have a letter assigned to it, it will not show up in Computer.

I'll see what they can do.

No the device is not detected anywhere. The actual drive makes sounds and lights up but I just doesn't show up anywhere, I've tried assigning a letter but the drive isn't there.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

I would contact Ebay then. Did you find your receipt. That should be in your online account of Ebay.

Edit: Ebay may ask you to contact Toshiba as it's still under warranty.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 January 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

Yes - Ebay is really good about refunds or replacements. You can contact the seller as well, and Ebay will mediate the issue. As JohnC_21 said - get a return merchandise authorization and you should be able to get it replaced pretty easily!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users