Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ron2014

ron2014

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Had a post it note type software that would display several notes everytime I booted. I tried to use system restore and found it turned off. Don't know how it was switched. Possibly a virus or software bug. Is there another way to restore to a previous date using third party software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Sorry to hear of your issue.  If you do not have any system restore points, then, as far as I know (and I am not an expert), you are pretty much stuck.  There are programs that will recover files, but none that I have heard about (so far) that will re-install programs that have disappeared.  Did you check the Control Panel (Uninstall Programs) to see if the program is still showing as installed?  If so, is there a "Repair" option if you click uninstall?  Some programs come with a repair capability to repair the program files and registry entries if something has become corrupted.

Personally, I rely on full system images done weekly on both of my computers, plus daily backups of any changed data files.  Nothing "forgets" faster than a computer.  Backups are really worth the effort.  There are lots of great products out there (Easeus, Macrium, etc.).

Hope this was of some help.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 ron2014

ron2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

Sorry to hear of your issue.  If you do not have any system restore points, then, as far as I know (and I am not an expert), you are pretty much stuck.  There are programs that will recover files, but none that I have heard about (so far) that will re-install programs that have disappeared.  Did you check the Control Panel (Uninstall Programs) to see if the program is still showing as installed?  If so, is there a "Repair" option if you click uninstall?  Some programs come with a repair capability to repair the program files and registry entries if something has become corrupted.

Personally, I rely on full system images done weekly on both of my computers, plus daily backups of any changed data files.  Nothing "forgets" faster than a computer.  Backups are really worth the effort.  There are lots of great products out there (Easeus, Macrium, etc.).

Hope this was of some help.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Problem is I don't remember the name of the program. Had it running in startup for over a year. Would show up on desktop up until about a week ago. This is when I found out system restore was turned off. I have since done a scan with malwarebytes bar program and found a few malware files that might of been the culprits. I'll keep researching to see if there is another route to restoring. Thanks, Ron

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

Have you already tried to Google the bits and pieces you remember?  Sometimes Google will surprise and bring you eventually to the program you used to have.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 ron2014

ron2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

Have you already tried to Google the bits and pieces you remember?  Sometimes Google will surprise and bring you eventually to the program you used to have.

No. I haven't had a chance. Been too busy. I'll let you know if I get it going again. Thanks.

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users